Apala Majumdar (Director of Centre of Nonlinear Mechanics) and Marcin Mucha-Kruczynski (Head of Theory and Computational Physics Group are co-organising a networking event between the Applied and Interdisciplinary Mathematics (AIMS) group and the Physics Theory Group on the 2nd October 2018.
There are six planned short talks by three mathematicians and three physicists, to illustrate the complementary interests and expertise and how it can come together for innovative new projects at the interface of applied mathematics, materials physics and computational physics. This promises to the first of such networking events and more are planned in the near future.
AIMS - Theory and Computational Physics Group Meeting
Organizers: Apala Majumdar (Mathematics) & Marcin Mucha-Kruczynski (Physics)
2nd October, 2.30pm – 5.00pm
Venue: 4 West, Wolfson
- 2.30pm – 2.50pm: Apala Majumdar (Mathematics) Title: The Mathematics of Liquid Crystals for Applications
- 2.50pm - 3.10pm: Marcin Mucha-Kruczynski (Physics) Title: Two-dimensional atomic crystals as electronic membranes
- 3.10pm – 3.30pm: Dorothy Buck (Mathematics) Title: TBC
- 3.30pm – 4.00pm: Coffee Break
- 4.00pm - 4.20pm: Anton Souslov (Physics) Title: Chiral metamaterials: Designing mechanics and acoustics using activity and geometry
- 4.20pm – 4.40pm: Kirill Cherednichenko (Maths) Title: Mathematical analysis as a tool for understanding when a composite is a metamaterial
- 4.40pm – 5.00pm: Adelina Ilie (Physics) Title: TBC