Teaching introduction for postgraduates who teach (27 November)
This one-day introduction to teaching for postgraduate students aims to provide a foundation for teaching in Higher Education
About the course
Completion of this one-day course is a requirement for all postgraduates who plan to teach at the University of Bath.
The morning session will cover the following topics:
- the purpose of teaching sessions and the role of the GTA (Graduate Teaching Assistant/ Demonstrator/ Tutor)
- student learning
- good teaching in practice
- developing as a teacher
- further support available for learners
In the afternoon, participants will be required to join one of the following thematic workshops to focus on more specific teaching practice:
- lab-based teaching
- seminar-based teaching
If you intend to be principally involved in maths-based problem teaching, please contact us.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- explain your role as a GTA
- analyse the purpose of the sessions you teach
- ask key questions about your teaching in order to plan your future teaching
- understand some basic ideas of how students learn
- understand key principles of good teaching and feedback
- consider a range of methods for engaging with students and choose between them
- consider how to respond to some common scenarios in teaching
- plan your development as a teacher, learning from feedback and experience
Follow on support
This course should be complemented by further development and information from your department on the specific teaching you will be doing, as well as feedback on your teaching.
If you have a prior teaching qualification, or if you have attended another similar course, for instance at another university, please contact us.
Conditions of booking
You are required to attend the whole of this one-day course. Attendance is a requirement for all postgraduates who plan to teach at the University of Bath.
This is a popular course, therefore if you are unable to commit to attending the whole day, please cancel your place in plenty of time and let another student attend. Please arrive promptly to the session and remember to sign the attendance sheet.
Please contact us if you have any dietary or other special requirement.