Skip to main content

Applying for interest-free loans for travel

The University offers eligible members of staff interest-free loans to help with the cost of travelling to and from work.

Public transport season tickets

If you use public transport to get to work at the University, you may be eligible for a loan to cover the cost of buying a season ticket.

The loan is repayable by equal deductions from payroll within the term of the season ticket. A season ticket must be valid for a minimum period of six months.

Download an application form.

Motorcycle or bicycle purchase loan

If you wish to travel to work at the University using a motorcycle or bicycle, you may be eligible for a loan towards the purchase of a vehicle and associated safety equipment.

Any member of staff paid monthly through payroll may apply. The value of loan up to a maximum of £1,500 will be deducted from your net salary in either 12 or 24 monthly instalments (with the added option of six month instalments for bicycle loans). The loan can also be used to purchase second-hand vehicles from private sellers.

You cannot enter into an interest free loan for a motorcycle or bicycle as well as having a season ticket loan.

Motorbike or bicycle and equipment

  1. Download the motorcycle or bicycle purchase loan application form and read the terms and conditions.

  2. Decide on your chosen vehicle or equipment.

  3. Get a written quotation from the supplier or seller.

  4. Complete the application form, mark it with 'motorcycle or bicycle loan application' and return to the Payroll Office.

  5. Allow 10 working days for processing the application and for a BACS payment to be made.

  6. Pay for your vehicle.

  7. Send a copy of the vehicle’s registration document and the original receipt to the Payroll Office within one month of issue of the cheque.

Employee responsibilities

It is important that you:

  • confirm that the bike or vehicle will be your main mode of travel to and from work

  • maintain the vehicle and equipment in a reasonable and safe condition

  • familiarise yourself with the full terms and conditions of the loan that are contained within the application form

  • insure tax the vehicle and insure it against theft, as you will be the legal owner. The University accepts no responsibility if the bike is lost or stolen and payments will still be required until the end of the agreement

If you leave employment at the University, you will need to repay the loan in full. The University reserves the right to delay or refuse a loan application at its discretion.

If you have any further queries, please contact our Payroll and Pensions Operations Manager, Simon Paul at


If you have any questions, please contact us.