Skip to main content

Get help when you are locked out of student accommodation

What to do if you can't get into your room or accommodation block, or you have lost your keys or access card.

Lost key or access card

If you lose your key or access card there are University staff that can help.

If you live in campus accommodation, please contact the West Accommodation Centre between 9am and 5pm.

If you live in city accommodation, please contact Green Park House between 9am and 7pm.

Outside of these hours contact the Security team to check if your key or card has been handed in. They are available 24 hours a day on 01225 383853.

If your card hasn't been handed in, they will arrange access to your room.

Do not force doors to get into buildings or rooms as you will be liable for any damage.

Replacements key and cards

Replacement keys

A replacement key costs £18.

If you find the key later, you must hand it in to an accommodation centre.

Replacement cards

A replacement access card costs £5.

Go to the Library to get a replacement card and then an accommodation centre to get it reprogrammed with your details.

Losing your key and card along with your address details

Never carry your key or card together with your address details. If you keep them together and lose them, it may invalidate your insurance.

If a key or card goes missing and your address details are with it, we have to change the locks on your residence, at a charge of £60.

Door faults

If you find a fault with your door, lock, key or card, contact your accommodation centre.

Between 9am to 5pm, contact your accommodation centre or the Security team and they will arrange access to your room.

After 5pm, contact the Security desk in the library.

Who to contact for help

On this page