Information about Library fines and charges
Advice about the fines charged for the late return of University of Bath Library items and methods of payment available.
What are the Library fines?
The library fines system is in place to encourage circulation of books required by other readers. The fines are decided by the University Librarian who consults with staff and student representatives.
Items should be returned to the Library as soon as possible when they are due. Extremely overdue items will be recorded as Lost by the Library.
There is a £40 replacement fee for Lost items. A block will go on to your borrower account until the book is returned or payment received. Blocked borrowers cannot borrow more items and the automatic renewal of any other loans will stop.
Some items generate a daily late fee if not returned by the due date:
- Short Loan items £5 per day or part of day
- Inter-Library Loans 80p per day
A block will go onto your account if the total charges on your account reach £10 or more.
If you have lost or damaged a library book, please let Library staff know as soon as possible for further advice. The standard replacement charge is £40. Borrowers may provide a new or good quality second-hand replacement instead.
You can pay your library fines
- in person at the Library Issue Desk during staffed hours
- online by logging your into your Borrower account
- by calling the Issue Desk to pay by credit card. Staff are available between 0900 and 1700, Monday to Friday. A voicemail service is also available and you can ask staff to call you back by leaving your contact phone number and Library Card number or University login name.