Library Rules and Regulations
A summary of the general rules and regulations for using the University of Bath Library service.
Rules and Regulations
Food and drink
Once through the entrance turnstiles
For a trial period our policy is changing from ‘bottled water only in the Library’. If it proves sustainable it will continue to stipulate that:
- Bottled soft drinks and water are permitted as well as drinks in re-useable cups with lids (e.g. KeepCups) and thermos flasks.
- Disposable cups are not permitted. This is in support of the University’s environmental initiatives and ‘leave no trace’ campaign to reduce waste.
- Food is not allowed in the Library
Before you go through the turnstiles
- You can use the snack area to the right of the University Reception & Security Desk. Any food and drink is permitted in this area. It is a self-tidying area and we ask that you please be mindful of your fellow Library users.
- Do not use mobile phones in quiet/silent study areas or bookstacks, or anywhere you may disturb other library users.
- Level 5 is designated ‘silent’ at the request of your fellow students. Please report any disturbance to the Librarians.
- Levels 1, 3 and 4 are designated’ quiet’ – some noise is permitted as long as you are not disturbing your fellow students.
- Group work and conversation is acceptable in the social spaces including Level 2 Learning Commons and the Library’s group study rooms.
- Sleeping is not acceptable in the Library