Each year this prize is awarded to a supervisor or supervisory team who have demonstrated exceptional performance and conduct in doctoral supervision.
This prize is open to all academic and research staff who can demonstrate sustained activity in the supervision of doctoral students, with successful completion of at least four doctoral students registered at the University of Bath to date of nomination.
Previous prize winners are not eligible to be considered again, but previous nominees who didn't win may be nominated again.
This prize recognises exceptional performance and conduct in doctoral supervision.
The University expects that an excellent supervisor or supervisory team would be able to demonstrate:
- sustained activity, interest in, and enthusiasm for supervising and supporting research students
- the ability to recruit and select good candidates and establish effective working relationships with them and, where appropriate, with co-supervisors
- giving useful and prompt feedback on submitted work, advising on keeping the project on track, monitoring progress, and ensuring timely completion
- the ability to offer appropriate support to students’ research projects including the processes of completion of their thesis, final examination and publication of work
- an appropriate engagement with, and contribution to, postgraduate students' research
- encouraging their students to disseminate their work, maximise its impact and exploit its results wherever appropriate
- a concern to support the personal, professional, and career development of doctoral students
- an ability to evaluate critically their practice as supervisors and, where appropriate, disseminate it, acting as a role model for students and colleagues
- their accomplishment in research.
How to nominate someone
Members of staff and students can nominate individual supervisors, or a supervisory team. Self-nominations will not be accepted. Nominations must be supported by evidence of the nominee’s dedication to the supervision of doctoral students and their accomplishment in research.
Submit a nomination form to recommend an individual supervisor or supervisory team for the Excellence in Doctoral Supervision Prize.
The closing date for nominations is Sunday 27 February 2022.
When you submit your nomination form, we will contact the individual or team to confirm their willingness to progress to the next stage. At this point, we will ask for:
- nominees to provide a statement of not more than 800 words giving at least one example of how they meet each of the eight criteria
- the nominee’s Head of Department or School to write a letter of support of no more than 300 words, which gives evidence of how the nominee meets the criteria
- students to provide a statement of between 100 and 200 words. At least two student statements are required for each nominee; these can include the nomination itself, if made by a student.
Nominations, supporting statements and Doctoral College data relating to candidature facilitation will be considered by Directors of Doctoral Studies in the Faculties and School, and by a Panel chaired by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research), held in May. The Chair will report the panel’s conclusions to the University Doctoral Studies Committee and Senate.
The winner(s) will receive £1,000 in prize money and a trophy. The prize money will be paid through the payroll and will be subject to PAYE.