Skip to main content

Requesting Flexible Working

As a member of staff to understand how to make a flexible working request. As a line manager to consider a flexible working request from a member of your staff.

Making a Flexible Working Request

Requests for any type of flexible working - including flexible retirement and reduced hours - should be made in writing by completing a Flexible Working Application Form and submitting it to the relevant line manager and copying to the Human Resources Advisor / Business Partner.

For academic staff, requests should be submitted to the Head of Department/Head of School, (or to the Dean in the case of a Head of Department). There is no automatic right that any request will be granted but all requests will be considered carefully taking into consideration operational requirements. With the exception of flexible retirement, only one flexible working application can be made within a period of 12 months.

The Flexible Working Application Form

The application form must be completed by the member of staff specifying the following details:

  • Confirmation that this a request to change terms and conditions of employment i.e. a change to: the hours of work, the times required to work, to work from home.

  • The reason for the request.

  • The change applied for and the date on which it is proposed the change should become effective (this may take from 12 – 14 weeks).

  • What effect, if any, they think making the change applied for would have on their team/service/department and how, in their opinion, any such effect might be dealt with so that their request could be managed without a reduction to the service provided.

  • Whether a previous application has been made and if so the date on which it was made.

  • The date of the application and the applicant’s signature.

Read the Policy and Flowchart