Skip to main content

When staff should contact the Student Immigration Service

Details of the circumstances in which University staff should look for help from the Student Immigration Service.

Seeking help from the Student Immigration Service

You should ask the Student Immigration Service for help if:

  • a student is looking to make changes to their course, as these could affect their immigration status
  • you are making any changes to programmes, including adding placements / internships as changes could mean that the University is not able to sponsor non-UK students for that changed programme
  • you believe a student's change of personal circumstances could affect their immigration status
  • if any student is repeating one or more years of their course or changing to a longer course. This is due to the strict time limits relevant to visa holders
  • you are going to have visiting or exchange students and / or visiting scholars on your programme, as any new exchange or partnership arrangements must be checked by the Head of Student Immigration to make sure that they comply with immigration requirements.

Restrictions on programmes

There are certain programmes which the university cannot offer to students who need a Student visa. This is due to requirements and restrictions set by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). These regulations also mean that there are certain programmes for which applicants may not be able to obtain a visa.

You should contact the Student Immigration Service to check whether your course is open to Student visa students if:

  • the mode of attendance is part-time or distance learning
  • the placement element constitutes more than 50% of the total programme duration
  • the structure makes it impossible for the University to fulfil its sponsor duties, such as monitoring and reporting students.


If you have any questions, please contact us.

On this page