His Royal Highness The Earl of Wessex Prince Edward KG, GCVO, SOM, AdC(P), LLD(Hon) Chancellor
The Chancellor is the ceremonial head of the University and one of its most prominent ambassadors.
HRH The Earl of Wessex took up the role on 1 August 2013. He was officially installed as the University’s fifth Chancellor at a formal ceremony in Bath Abbey on Thursday, 7 November, 2013.
The Chancellor, who is by Royal Charter the Chief Officer of the University, presides over meetings of the Court, confers degrees at graduation and otherwise represents the University.
- plays a key role in the business of the institution but does not become involved in executive management
- maintains a constructive working relationship with the Vice-Chancellor in line with the checks and balances imposed by the different roles each has within the constitution
- presides and confers degrees at Award Ceremonies of the University
- is chair of Court and Convocation
- is involved in the appointment of a Vice-Chancellor, attends other formal and informal meetings (at the University and elsewhere) and performs a consultative and advisory role on major policy and strategic matters
As well as carrying out duties in support of The King both in the UK and abroad, His Royal Highness plays a very active role in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, the programme for young people which now operates in over 140 countries and territories around the world.
The Earl of Wessex is also involved with a number of charities and organisations, particularly those connected with the performing arts, sport and young people.
An interview with The Chancellor
Watch the interview with His Royal Highness The Earl of Wessex about being Chancellor of the University of Bath.