Professor Chris Bowen Faculty of Engineering & Design Associate Dean (Research)
Professor Chris Bowen is responsible for coordinating and promoting research initiatives across the Faculty.
Chris was appointed Associate Dean (Research) for the Faculty of Engineering and Design in 2021.
Chris is a Professor of Materials with expertise in ferroelectric materials and composites for transducer applications. These are important materials for the UK since their piezoelectric, pyroelectric and electrocaloric properties make them important for sectors that include SONAR, pressure sensing/accelerometers, mechanical & thermal energy harvesting, thermal imaging, non-destructive evaluation and solid-state cooling.
My research interests include:
- Ferroelectric materials and composites
- Piezoelectric/pyroelectric materials and composites
- Energy harvesting, actuation and sensing
- Smart materials and systems
- Self-healing materials
This person is open to proposals for student research projects
- 1998 – 2021 Professor of Materials, Materials and Structures Research Centre, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 1996 – 1998 Senior Scientist: Defence Evaluation and Research Agency (DERA), Farnborough, UK
- 1994 – 1996 Research Fellow: Department of Materials, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
- 1993 – 1994 Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter (Research Assistant): Technische Universität Harburg-Hamburg, Germany
1990 - 1993: DPhil; Department of Materials, University of Oxford, UK.
1986 – 1990: BSc Hons. (First Class) Materials Science, School of Materials Science, University of Bath, UK