We provide disabled students with access to a loan laptop computer with specialist software designed to aid studying at the University, where a student doesn't have access to their own. There is a pool of 20 laptops running Windows 7 that can be booked out for a few months at a time and are issued via referral from Student Disability Advice.
AT Laptop Loan
Please contact Student Disability Advice, 4 West Student Services Centre, to discuss support options and whether an AT laptop is suitable for you.
Each laptop has the following assistive software:
- Dragon Naturally Speaking - A package capable of translating speech directly to text
- TextHelp Read and Write Gold - A package to aid reading and composing text
- Inspiration: Internation Edition - A package designed to aid thought processes: mind mapping, flow charts, organizers, etc.
And the following standard software:
- Office 2010
- Adobe Reader
Note: Students will be allowed to add their own software to the installation.
AT PC Lab in the library
We also have an Assistive Technology room on level 3 of the Library accommodating 4 PCs with 24-inch widescreen monitors: 3 PCs running Windows 7 and one windows XP (with specialist Mathematics software and connected to the Braille printer).
Note: The PC running Windows XP is in the process of being upgraded to Windows 7.
- HP Scanjet 4070 Scanner
- HP Laserjet CP3525 Colour Printer
including assistive hardware:
- Plustek Optibook 3600 Scanner
- Everest Braille Embosser
- Height adjustable chairs and tables; each PC table has an electric switch at the front to adjust the height
The following standard software is installed on Windows 7 machines:
- Office 2010 (including Project Pro)
- Adobe Reader
and has the same assistive software as listed above for the laptops, plus:
- Zoomtext - A package that can magnify the desktop to aid reading
Access to this room is given to disabled students who need to use the equipment and software, if you are interested in having access please contact Student Disability Advice, 4 West Student Services Centre.
PCs in this room need to be booked prior to use, via the information librarians, please see the library user guide for further information.
Report Problems / ask a question