Getting statistics advice for project work
Find out what statistics advice is available for students & staff undertaking project work like final year projects, field study projects and research projects
Statistics Advisory Service
The Statistics Advisory Service (SAS) provides help with any statistical problems that you might have with project work like final year projects, field study projects, research projects. This includes:
- experimental design
- guidance on the correct statistical test to use
- interpretation of results
We can also give help with statistical packages. The service operates an online booking system, all appointments last 25 minutes.
Who this service is for
This service is available to all members of the University undertaking project work.
This service is concerned with guiding and supporting learning and will not explicitly carry out statistical testing of data which forms part of any University assessments. If there are any units where there is a set examination or coursework rather than an individual or group project, you should seek help in a MASH Drop-in in the first instance.
Before you make a booking, consider whether or not:
- this is a small query that could be resolved by seeking help at a MASH Drop-in
- you have thoroughly checked your lecture notes and relevant supporting material such as textbooks - we have a selection of statistical textbooks in the MASH in the Skills Zone and many more are available in the Library
- you have looked at our online resources - these include links to a range of tutorials (both text and videos) explaining basic statistical techniques and how to apply them
How to make a booking
At the time of booking, you will be asked to give a brief summary of your study and the type of help you are seeking. You should provide any information that you think will be helpful in allowing our staff to prepare effectively for your session. The service is confidential; your details are kept for our records and monitoring purposes of the service.
When booking a session:
- you will be asked to provide a summary of your problem, including the statistical software you plan to use (if relevant), so please be prepared for this
- include as much information as possible, the more information you give, the more you will get out of the session
- do not book more than one session at a time - we reserve the right to cancel multiple bookings, further bookings may be appropriate at later stages in your project but should be booked at that time
To book a session please go to the Statistics Advisory Service appointment booking page.
Most sessions will be in MASH in the Skills Zone. A reminder email will be sent one day prior to your appointment; the room will be confirmed in this email.
Preparing for the session
Remember that appointments are only 25 minutes in length. If you are well prepared you will be able to make the best use of this limited time.
It is important you:
- arrive on time
- bring all relevant material with you – project specification, data sticks, textbooks, etc. as this will help us to make effective progress during the session
You will be able to access your computer account during the session if necessary, or you can bring your own laptop.