Cycle to work scheme
University staff can take advantage of a tax-free scheme to get bicycles and safety accessories for traveling to and from work.
Bikes and equipment
Through a lease and loan agreement, you can choose bike and safety equipment up to the value of £1,000 including VAT. Our agreement with Cyclescheme Ltd gives you access to a network of local and national bike retailers.
Approved accessories include:
- cycle helmets
- lights and mudguards
- protective clothing
- security locks.
How payments are made
Lease payments are made on a monthly basis through a reduction to your gross salary, meaning that you'll benefit from reductions in income tax and national insurance.
The monthly amount is dependent on the value of the bike and equipment you choose. The lease agreement runs for 12 months.
Get a bike and equipment
- Understand how your employment terms and conditions will change. Refer to the Cycle to Work scheme hire agreement on the Cycle Scheme website.
- Visit a bike shop that is part of the Cyclescheme network.
- Choose a bike and safety equipment and request a Cyclescheme quotation. If you are asked at any time for an employer code for the University of Bath it is A12ED.
- Once you have your quotation you can set up your request on Cyclescheme's website using this link:http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/a12ed. Choose the "Get your bike" option and then "Request a Certificate" and follow the instructions.
- Read and sign the on-line hire agreement.
- It takes around 14 days to process and receive the voucher from Cyclescheme.
- Take the voucher to the bike shop and exchange it for the goods.
It is important that you:
- confirm that the bike will be your main mode of travel to and from work
- maintain the bike and equipment in a reasonable and safe condition
- insure the bike against theft. The University accepts no responsibility if the bike is lost or stolen. Payments will still be required until the end of the agreement.