The Centre for the Study of Violence is helping to mark the centenary of the British journal The Philosopher, by hosting a series of webinar discussions on the theme of “The Century of Violence”.
Hosted and led by Professor Brad Evans, who is the director of the Centre, the series provides an accessible introduction to some of the most important texts that have shaped our understanding of violence in the past 100 years.
Leading experts from around the world join Professor Evans to discuss the legacies of authors including: Paolo Freire, Hannah Arendt, Frantz Fanon, Gilles Deleuze & Felix Guattari, and Walter Benjamin.
- Wednesday 18 January 2023: Paolo Freire – Pedagogy of the oppressed (with Henry Giroux)
- Tuesday 21 February: Hannah Arendt - The human condition (with Samantha Rose Hill)
- Tuesday 18 April: Frantz Fanon - The wretched of the Earth (with Lewis Gordon)
- Tuesday 16 May: Gilles Deleuze & Felix Guattari - A thousand plateaus (with Michael Hardt)
- Tuesday 20th June: Walter Benjamin – The critique of violence (with James Martel)