There was a full-day Council Strategy Meeting on 24 October. The Vice-Chancellor gave a report on the past year and key challenges for the University. The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research) spoke on the University’s Research Strategy.
Lord John Eatwell, Chair of the Advisory Board for the Institute for Policy Research, and Prof Bernard Silverman, Chair of the Advisory Board for the Institute for Mathematical Innovation, gave presentations about the University’s Research Institutes, along with Professor Nick Pearce and Professor Jonathan Dawes. Council members discussed the research strategy in groups.
In the afternoon, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Learning & Teaching) gave a presentation on the implementation of the new Education Strategy.
Members were offered a guided tour of the Virgil Building.
The normal business meeting followed at 3.45pm, at which the following issues were discussed:
- Students’ Union: Council received a presentation on the Students’ Union Top Ten issues on which they would be working with the University in the coming year
- Admissions 2017: the Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Provost gave a summary of student intake figures and thanked everyone who had worked so hard on recruitment and admissions
- Key Performance Indicators: Council noted an update on its Key Performance Indicators which monitored the core activities of the University, benchmarked against similar universities
- Student Surveys 2017: Council noted the 2017 student survey results, which were generally very positive, and the action planning being undertaken
- Governance: Council approved submission of the Annual Provider Review to HEFCE, on the recommendation of Senate. Council also amended the membership and quorum of the Remuneration Committee and made an appointment to the vacancy on the Audit Committee
- Effectiveness Review: Council approved arrangements to engage an independent external consultant, selected according to procurement frameworks, to undertake the Effectiveness Review of Council in the coming year
- Development: Council noted the Development and Alumni Relations Annual Report for 2016/17 along with financial reports on funds raised and endowment funds