To celebrate the launch of our new Department of Life Sciences, we're running a photo competition to showcase some of the world-class research being carried out in Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Biology and Biochemistry at Bath.
We're inviting submissions from members of staff in the faculty and PhD students. The images can be of, or inspired by, your work, and illustrating one of the research themes identified for the new department. Selected entries will be used on the web pages for the new department.
Life Sciences research themes
- biodiversity and evolution
- cells, development and disease
- microbiology, infection & inflammation
- diagnostics, therapeutics and patient care
Entries for inclusion on the webpages will be picked by a panel made up of the Head of Department, Head of Research and the Digital Content Manager from the Faculty marketing team. You can send up to three entries per person. Closing date is 5pm on 31 July 2022, with the selection announced in early August to coincide with the official launch.
Alongside the photo, you'll need to add the following information:
- image title
- image 'alt tag': A short sentence describing what we can see in the image
- a short paragraph explaining how the image was created and how you believe it fits one of the Department of Life Sciences research themes listed above
The panel will select the best images for use on the website based on the following criteria:
- how well they illustrate the selected research theme
- how well they reflect the impact of research at Bath
- strength of storytelling or visual creativity in the image
Rules and additional information
- The competition is open to all members of staff and PhD students in the Faculty of Science.
- Individuals may submit up to three entries.
- Submissions should be in a standard photo format (e.g. jpg or png). Hi-res images sized at least 1920*1080 are the most flexible for use on the website, but images of any size or resolution can still be displayed.
- Entries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: 'Life Sciences Photo Competition 2022'.
- Closing date is 5pm on 31 July 2022. Announcement of selected images will be made after the 1 August online and in the faculty update.
- Copyright remains with the creator. By submitting a photo you grant the University rights to use the image on web and other platforms, including print, as required without further permissions being sought.
- You must have ownership of the submitted images and have permission from anyone featured. They must be your original work and not downloaded from other websites. They should be single images not composites, and with no text or graphic overlays. If the image shows the work of a team, the person submitting will be deemed the lead creator.
- Final decision on use of images rests with the judges, with the faculty web team supplying technical advice if required.