Terms of reference
- To consider nominations for the annual Godfrey and Sue Hall Postgraduate Research Student Prize, creating a shortlist of up to five finalists to present their research at a dedicated event, and to award the winner.
- To recommend to Senate the criteria for prize nominations.
- To apply the prize criteria fairly and consistently, addressing unconscious bias and ensuring that decisions are consistent with equality, diversity and inclusion considerations.
- To approve revoking prizes to individuals where situations may arise post-award.
- To make an annual report to Senate on the Committee’s activity.
- To conduct an annual effectiveness review.
Chair: A Pro-Vice-Chancellor
Ex-officio members: Academic Director of the Doctoral College
Other members: Four members of academic staff to represent different academic disciplines, nominated by the Vice-Chancellor. One of these members should also be the Chair of the University Doctoral Studies Committee, or a member of the committee appointed by the Chair. No two members should come from the same department. One member to represent the Doctoral College.
Attendance: An equality, diversity and inclusion representative, when available
Secretary: Secretary to the Godfrey and Sue Hall Postgraduate Research Student Prize Committee (Governance Team)
In the absence of any specific rules, the procedure is as set out in the Standing Orders of Senate
Quorum: One-third of membership, three voting members
Co-option: See Senate Standing Orders 16(ii) and (iii)
Alternates: See Senate Standing Orders 17(iii) and (iv)
Rules for voting: There are no specified rules for voting
Frequency of meetings: One meeting and one presentation event per year
Minutes: Submitted to members and decisions are reported to Senate
Owner: Godfrey and Sue Hall Postgraduate Research Student Prize Committee
Version number: 2
Approval Date: 5 December 1990, updated 8 June 2022
Approved By: Senate
Date of last review: 8 June 2022
Read more about the Godfrey and Sue Hall Postgraduate Research Student Prize.