Terms of Reference
Approved by Council, June 2006.
- To recommend to Senate for approval persons worthy of the conferment of an honorary degree and the appropriate degree for each such person.
- To appoint Orators for recipients of honorary degrees.
- To recommend to Council and Senate the waiving of Ordinance 14.12 if necessary when appointing Orators for recipients of honorary degrees.
- To recommend to Senate the criteria for honorary degree nominations.
- To recommend to Senate the annual award of the Chancellor's Medal.
- To determine the procedures for submission and consideration of honorary degree nominations and subsequent award of honorary degrees.
Appointment of Chair: The Vice-Chancellor takes the Chair.
Membership: The Vice-Chancellor/Two members of Council who are not members of Senate elected by Council/Four members elected by Senate and hold academic posts at the University, of whom two shall be members of Senate
Co-option: See Council Standing Orders 16(iv) and 16(v)
Alternates: See Council Standing Orders 17(iii) to (iv)
Quorum: One third of the membership (Council Standing Order 16(vi)).
Rules of voting: None specified.
Minutes: Submitted to Senate.