Responsibilities of the Steering Group
The Council Effectiveness Review Steering Group has been set up by the University Council to:
- consider the recommendations of the Halpin Review of Council Effectiveness and related governance issues
- review representations from the University community
- investigate practices at other institutions, and consider options and practical implications
- make recommendations to Council for actions to be taken
- oversee the implementation of actions agreed by Council and report back to Council on any concerns arising
Remit of the Steering Group
The first meeting of this group was held on 5 July and it discussed the remit and working arrangements for the group. The Steering Group is not a decision-making body but will report back on its discussions and recommendations to Council.
Council, as the University’s governing body, will make the final decisions.
Topics for future discussion by the Steering Group
Recommendations from the Halpin report scheduled for discussion at the next Steering Group on 24 October are:
- size and composition of Council
- maximum time limits for Council membership
- ‘Senior Independent Director’ proposal
- publication of minutes
- Head of Governance
- declaration of donations by Council members
Engaging with the University Community
Feedback about one or more of the recommendations in the Halpin Review can be emailed to: CouncilEffectivenessSteeringGroup@bath.ac.uk. Please mention the number of the recommendation in the Halpin report which your feedback relates to.