Please read the guidelines below before making any booking requests.
When you accept the terms of booking on the self-service room booking form, you are confirming that you have read this page.
For information on the current room booking process for staff and students please see the Booking Rooms webpage.
Freedom of Expression
The University has a legal duty to protect students’ right to free speech. This duty is covered by Regulation 18 (Code of Practice). This also covers University staff and visiting speakers.
When you accept the Terms of Booking you are confirming that you have read the guide and Code of Practice.
Guidelines for the use of General Teaching Rooms [GTA]
- No smoking
- No food or drink in teaching rooms unless agreed in advance with Timetabling. Please note there will be no permission granted for ANY food or drink in tiered lecture theatres or computer rooms.
- Clean any whiteboards or chalkboards at the end of your booking
- Please be aware of others using rooms nearby and keep noise levels to a minimum. If you want to book a room for an activity which may disturb others, please contact Timetabling and we will allocate a room which is suitable to your requirements.
- Please log off from AV equipment at the end of your booking
- All AV equipment must remain switched on standby for subsequent users and should only be switched off or unplugged by AV staff - the rooms are remotely managed and the equipment will be shut down at the appropriate time
- Close any windows at the end of your booking
- All rooms must be vacated by five minutes past the hour. All room bookings are allocated at one hourly intervals, starting at fifteen minutes past each hour - single bookings are for 50 minutes, ending at five minutes past the hour - this timing allows for the interchange of students and the installation of equipment
- The furniture within each room is set out in a particular way to conform to the University's teaching requirements - wall diagrams in each location illustrate the correct arrangement - if you move the furniture you should return it to the correct arrangement at the end of your booking
- Please do not move furniture and equipment between lecture rooms - if you find the room in an unsatisfactory condition please supply details on a Problem Report Form
Student society bookings
The following is in addition to the guidelines for use of General Teaching Rooms [GTA] outlined in the previous section.
- Only groups affiliated with the Students Union or those sponsored by a Department may place bookings for GTA space.
- Bookings should be submitted via the online booking system.
- Bookings must be made by named committee member such as the Chair, Secretary or Treasurer.
- The society or group name must be included in the booking description.
- With the permission of the Academic Registry Timetabling Office, cold food can be served in flat rooms only. Please note there will be no permission granted for pizza in GTA rooms, as well as ANY food or drink in tiered lecture theatres and computer rooms.
- No dancing or physical activity bookings permitted in the Chancellors Building
- No dancing or physical activity bookings permitted in 3WN 3.7 & 3.8
- No dancing or noisy activities permitted in 4 East (particularly 4E 3.19) or 1 West 3.103
Failure to comply with the above will result in your booking being cancelled.
Information on room use - Covid-19
For further information on room booking policy please see the Timetabling and Room Booking statement