Prepare yourself for a career in specialist language work including translation, editing and précis-writing.
If you're interested in working as a professional linguist or working with the written word to provide translations and specialised language services, this course is an excellent option.
With a growing demand for highly trained speakers of English in the UK and abroad, this specialist master's will equip you to set up your own freelance business, or work in-house for an international organisation or language service provider.
Unlike other courses of its kind, ours covers a wide variety of skills, including editing, revision, précis-writing and proofreading. Employers and agencies have told us they’re looking for these services, so having the right skills will place you in a strong position for securing work. You'll have the opportunity to gain skills in public service and commercial interpreting, and you will learn about setting up your own translation business.
In some cases, we can arrange external translation training. This may be in international organisations, such as the EU and UN, or an independent translation agency, and will give you first-hand experience of the workplace and valuable contacts for building your career.
The course is taught by qualified tutors. While some have worked for international organisations, others have developed their careers as freelance linguists. All bring extensive experience to the classroom to give students invaluable advice.
Gain key skills
You'll leave with:
- a proven ability to work with varied and challenging texts, providing a strong foundation for working at an international level
- experience of working to deadlines and using style guides
- relationships with potential employers and colleagues from your external training
- access to our close-knit alumni network of linguists who work in international organisations, private bodies and independent agencies
- evidence of translation skills, including the dissertation you'll complete at the end of the taught part of the course
Through our extensive network of contacts, we try to organise external training for all students with the language services of international organisations, government departments or translation companies.
These training opportunities provide an invaluable insight into the work of professional linguists and are highly valued by employers. However, they are not compulsory or guaranteed.
Our students have previously undertaken training with:
- the United Nations
- institutions of the European Union
- the Council of Europe
We have an excellent reputation for training professional translators, editors and précis-writers. This course draws on that expertise and extends into new and specialised areas of language work where there is a great demand for highly trained linguists with English as their first or 'A' language.
Our graduates have gone on to work for the following organisations:
- Etymax Translation Bureau, London
- European Central Bank
- European Commission
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- International Court of Justice
- International Maritime Organization
- International Telecommunications Union
- International Union of Railways (UIC)
- Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
- United Nations in Geneva, Vienna and New York
Associations and resources
By studying this course, you will be able to access a number of tools and online resources to support your learning. These include: