Immerse yourself in the politics, policy and social evolution of the EU and European states. You’ll study at Bath and in Europe.
This course is part of the Euromasters Consortium, which gives you the chance to learn in different countries and enjoy an international degree.
You’ll combine studying at our Bath campus with time at prestigious European universities.
During your academic learning, you’ll focus on contemporary politics, culture and society in Europe, and the continent’s role in the wider world. You’ll learn about:
- European Union (EU) institutions
- European integration
- societal modernisation and democratisation in different countries
- Europe’s role in international relations
As well as these core topics, you’ll find out more about current issues, such as security, immigration, Euroscepticism, and economic disparities in the eurozone.
If you aspire to work in European or international institutions, or for private sector organisations that operate in Europe, this course will help you to develop the skills and experience to succeed.
You can find out more on the dedicated Euromasters website, which contains extensive information about the course and the Consortium, as well as guidance on applying.
This course is also available with a Transatlantic Track, allowing you to spend time in the United States during your studies.
Live and study in another country
A fundamental part of this course is spending time studying in different countries. You may study at up to three Euromasters Consortium sites (one being Bath).
During this time, you'll be able to develop a greater level of intercultural awareness, improve your language skills, and experience different ways of life.
Each partner institution will support you to find accommodation and will offer a range of services including careers advice, placement resources and pastoral care. A representative from the institution(s) you choose will work with you ahead of your semester(s) to support your preparation.
Please note: you must undertake at least one semester studying at one of the approved partner institutions as part of this course.
Language of instruction and locations
You are able to study at the following sites as part of the course.
English and French
English and German
You will need to be able to speak the language of instruction of your chosen country of study. Most units will be taught in English.
Learn from experts in their field
While at Bath, you'll learn from experts in European politics and international studies, as well as staff in the wider Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies community. Their passion, knowledge and research shape their teaching to enhance your learning experience.
Gain important career skills
As part of the Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies, you’ll work with leading researchers with expertise in areas like international security, terrorism, foreign policy, international relations, gender politics, cyberspace politics, and the international political economy.
You’ll have the opportunity to gain:
- a deep knowledge of contemporary European politics, society, and culture
- an enhanced level of intercultural awareness, which is important for working in a range of international jobs
- an increased professional network, including leading academic staff and researchers from your time studying at Bath
- practical and transferable skills for a range of careers in the UK, continental Europe, North America and further afield
Studying this course will provide you with an excellent grounding for working in international organisations, government agencies, multinational corporations, NGOs, and public bodies.
Graduates from our MA Contemporary European Studies (Politics, Policy and Society & Transatlantic Track) courses have gone on to successful careers in a wide range of organisations, including:
- Danish EU Research Liaison Officer in Brussels, Belgium
- Head of External Affairs, Northwest at Google, USA
- Programme Officer EU Policies at the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium
- United Nations Postgraduate Fellowship, New York
- Parliamentary Assistant for German MP in Bundestag, Berlin
- Press Assistant in the European Parliament, Spain
- Parliamentary Assistant for a Green MEP in the European Parliament in Brussels, Belgium