Enhance your sports physiotherapy knowledge, skills and experience. This is a specially designed master's course for fully qualified physiotherapists.
This highly flexible academic and clinical master's degree develops your physiotherapy skills in the specialist setting of sport.
By working with Bath’s team of sports practitioners, you’ll deepen your knowledge of advanced sports physiotherapy techniques, athlete management and performance enhancement.
You’ll also develop your:
- knowledge of sports physiotherapy practice and ethical considerations at local, national and international levels
- ability to work in multidisciplinary teams within sports environments
- capability to provide safe and effective pitch-side emergency care
- awareness of anti-doping legislation and procedures withing sports physiotherapy
A mix of self-led and face-to-face learning
Bath is one of the few universities that offers this type of academically recognised course through part-time distance learning. This means you can complete your master's degree alongside your clinical practice.
You’ll also experience face-to-face teaching during our Residential Weeks, which will take place in Bath.
Bath’s sports medicine expertise
You’ll learn from experts in sports physiotherapy, as well as staff in our wider Department for Health community.
Their passion, knowledge and industry expertise shape their teaching to enhance your learning experience. They have vast levels of industry experience and have worked with a range of professional athletes across different sports.
Some have worked at high-profile sporting events, including the:
- Commonwealth Games
- FIFA World Cup
- Olympic Games
- Paralympic World Cup
- Tour de France
Use specialist facilities
During the Residential Weeks, you will use the physiology and biomechanics suites on our Bath campus. These contain up-to-date performance testing and analysis equipment.
Gain important career skills
During this course, you will benefit from:
- highly interactive, flexible distance learning and clinical teaching
- residential teaching weeks to support your practical and clinical examination training
- being part of an online network of sport and exercise medicine and sports physiotherapy clinicians
- access to experienced clinical specialists in the field to provide professional development support
- a problem-solving and reflective approach to sports physiotherapy
You will be assigned an experienced sports physiotherapist as your Professional Development Advisor during this course. They will provide mentorship and help you establish industry links.
In Year 1 and Year 2 there are opportunities to learn from guest speakers and build connections with other clinicians at our Residential Weeks in Bath.
By the end of the course, you will be qualified to work with athletes and sports teams at the highest level. You will be able to apply evidence-based practice principles to deliver innovation in sports physiotherapy.
Some of our recent graduates have taken roles with:
- The Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Professional clubs and teams
- The English Institute of Sport
- Birmingham Royal Ballet
If you want to continue your research alongside professional practice, we also provide an established Professional Doctorate, offering a route for MSc students interested in continuing their research to doctoral level while working part-time.