From the discovery of the Higgs boson, to the observation of gravitational waves or the development of quantum computing, physics is at the heart of some of the greatest discoveries of our age.
At Bath, our courses explore the fundamental laws underpinning the universe, from subatomic to cosmological scales. You’ll develop a strong understanding of the underlying theories of physics combined with practical experience from lab sessions, projects, mathematical modelling and computer simulations.
Add to your experience with a professional placement, study abroad or a research placement
All our physics courses include the option of a professional placement or study abroad. We offer full support for your application and have links with many well-known companies in the UK and abroad, and overseas universities. Some courses also include a research placement in the final year, giving you the opportunity to spend six months in a leading national or international research institution.
We offer four physics courses at Bath, with each available as a BSc or an MPhys/MSci:
- Physics is our broadest degree and gives you the opportunity to explore a wide range of areas, from the fundamental theories of physics to cutting-edge applications.
- Mathematics and Physics is for you if you enjoy and excel at pure mathematics and want to apply that to the study of physics. You'll be able to master the logic, rigour and proof of mathematics alongside the universal principles of physics.
- Physics with Astrophysics enables you to apply the full breadth of physics to a wide range of astrophysical phenomena from star formation to black hole growth and the expansion of the Universe.
- Physics with Theoretical Physics is for you if you want to study a broad physics degree with less emphasis on experimental laboratories and a stronger focus on theoretical, mathematical and computational aspects of physics.
Watch course videos and find out all about living and studying at Bath by visiting our Physics Virtual Experience page.
Mathematics and Physics BSc/MSci
Physics with Astrophysics BSc/MPhys
- Physics with Astrophysics BSc (Hons) – 4 years with professional placement or study abroad
- Physics with Astrophysics BSc (Hons) – 3 years
- Physics with Astrophysics MPhys (Hons) – 5 years with professional placement, research placement or study abroad
- Physics with Astrophysics MPhys (Hons) – 4 years
- Physics with Astrophysics MPhys (Hons) – 4 years with research placement
Physics with Theoretical Physics BSc/MPhys
- Physics with Theoretical Physics BSc (Hons) – 4 years with professional placement or study abroad
- Physics with Theoretical Physics BSc (Hons) – 3 years
- Physics with Theoretical Physics MPhys (Hons) – 5 years with professional placement, research placement or study abroad
- Physics with Theoretical Physics MPhys (Hons) – 4 years
- Physics with Theoretical Physics MPhys (Hons) – 4 years with research placement
Find out more
Students and graduates talk about their experiences of studying physics at Bath.
Some of our awards, accolades and league table rankings.
Bath is ranked 8th overall in the UK by the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023