In this free introductory workshop, enjoy the opportunity to spend the day at Unit DX, Bristol’s first science 'incubator'. This event is suitable for individuals interested in starting their own science company, working in a start-up in the future, or learning more about the opportunities that exist in the innovation community.
Over the course of the day you’ll have the opportunity to:
- meet company founders and start-up employees
- hear talks on IP alongside members of the Unit DX community
- develop your confidence to make the most out of professional gatherings
- take part in hands-on activities to learn about company formation and growing a founding team
Reasonable travel costs will be refunded by the Doctoral College (equivalent to standard fare rail travel between Bath Spa and Bristol Temple Meads).
Morning pastries, lunch and refreshments are all included, and a provisional schedule is provided below. Please bring a laptop with you to use in the workshop sessions.
- 10:00 Welcome, coffee & pastries @ Unit DX, Bristol
- 10:15 Talk: ‘Introduction to the Innovation Ecosystem’
- 11:00 – Workshop: Networking skills, making the most of professional opportunities
- 11:30 Talk: ‘IP – the basics: What do you need to know?’ by HGF Intellectual Property Specialists, partners of Unit DX
- 12:30 Lunch & Networking
- 13:30 Tours of the laboratories at Unit DX
- 14:15 Workshop: Founding a company
- 15:15 Q&A with company founders & employees
- 16:15 Workshop: Joining a start-up as an employee, what to consider?
- 17:00 End
Who should attend