Skip to main content

External Organisations and Charities for Care Leavers and Estranged Students

External Support and resources to support your student experience

UCAS have a hub of resources on their website with information on the process of getting financial assistance, finding suitable accommodation, and understanding the type of support you may be able to access to succeed at university.

Care Leaver

The Eagle House Education Trust offers financial help for students who have lived in care in Somerset.

Anyone who is a Curo resident is eligible to apply for the £9,000 Curo University Scholarship.

The Care Leavers Association

Care Leavers Association (CLA) aim to bring together the voices of care leavers of all ages so that we can improve the current care system, improve the quality of life of care leavers throughout their life and change for the better society’s perception of people who have been in care.

The National Network for the Education of Care Leavers - NNECL

The National Network for the Education of Care Leavers (NNECL) supports professionals working with care experienced students.

Coram Voice

Coram Voice will help you if you are in care, leaving care, have or need a social worker.

They will help get your voice heard, tell you about your rights, give you the support you need through their advocates and work with you to improve the care system.


Rights4Children supports your preparation for and starting your adult life. You have many rights to advice and support.

Become Charity

Become Charity are more than an advice line. There are lots of different ways they can help you, from ongoing coaching, helping you in stressful situations, to providing a friendly space to meet other care-experienced young people.


Barnardos help young people bridge the gap between living in care and independent living.

Local Authority Support

Your Local Authority still has a duty of care for you whilst you are in Higher Education and planning for this should have been undertaken in your Pathway Plan?.

They have a duty to maintain contact and to provide support through a Personal Adviser as well as to assist with costs of education, employment and training. (Leaving Care Act 2000).

This is us

This is us signposts to

  • Stand Alone a national charity that supports estranged adults and has a section of their website for students. They also run support groups for estranged adults.
  • Estranged Students’ Network (ESN) is a UK-wide, student-led network, aiming to support and assist estranged students navigating academia.
  • Together Estranged is an international peer-support group that aims is to support and empower those estranged from family. ‘We empower people who’ve lost family relationships due to childhood trauma, abuse, lack of acceptance for being LGBTQ+ and more, promoting their strength and inner healing.’
  • NewGrad have a private Facebook group exclusive to estranged students & graduates.
  • r/EstrangedAdultChild is a community for adult children where a conscious decision to estrange from parents has been made. They state that estrangement primarily occurs when there is physical/emotional abuse, differing expectations about family roles, neglect and clashes based on personalities or value systems. (Parents of Estranged Adult Children are not welcome to participate in this sub.)

Return to Student Retention and Success

Student Retention and Success

On this page