Financial evidence for your visa
Read about the financial documents that you need to provide in support of your visa application.
Check your bank statements with the bank statement flowchart.
You must have both:
- £9,135 (£1,015 per month for up to 9 months) for living costs
- one year of tuition fees
You will need more if you have dependants. For each dependant, you must currently show £680 per month up to 9 months (£6,120). You must show the money using bank statements and/or a letter from a financial sponsor and/or receipts.
- the required money must have been in the bank account for a consecutive 28 day period
- original bank statements must cover 28 days (and printed no more than 31 days before the date of your application). You can use your bank statements or your parents/legal guardian's statements. If you don't have original bank statements you can ask the bank to print one for you - make sure that each page is on headed paper and has your name and account details on. You can also print an online statement and ask the bank to stamp each page.
- if you are using your parents'/legal guardians' bank statements, you must also provide an original birth certificate to prove your relationship with them. You must also include an original signed and dated letter from them giving their consent to giving you the money for your study in the UK.
Overseas bank statements
- if your bank statements are not in English, you must also send a fully certified translation by a professional translator. This must include confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document, the date and the translator's signature. For applications made in the UK, the translation must also include the translator's qualifications.
- you must write the closing balance in pounds sterling on the application form. Use the official exchange rate on the OANDA website.
Some overseas financial institutions are not accepted by UKVI.
Letter from financial sponsor
If you are receiving official financial sponsorship, you will need to provide a letter from your financial sponsor. Your letter must:
- contain full details of the amount you will receive
- the letter must be stamped and on headed paper
If your sponsor is:
- paying your fees and maintenance full, then they must also consent to you extending your time in the UK
- also paying for your dependants, this must be clear on the letter
You can show a receipt for:
- fee payments
- University accommodation payments up to a maximum of £1,265
You can then take these figures off the total amount in your bank account. You can get receipts for fee payments from Student Finance, and receipts for University accommodation payments from Accommodation Services.
The University does not send original receipts for overseas applications. Please wait to pay tuition fees on arrival and keep the money in your bank account for your visa application.