Skip to main content

Freedom of Information - Requesting information

How to submit a Freedom of Information request or apply for an internal review.

Requesting Information

You can make a request for any information held by the university, subject to relevant exemptions applying. In some instances we will need to consider the public interest before deciding whether information can be disclosed. There is some information we are not obliged to disclose.

Making a request

A request for information must be in writing (letter, email or fax). It should also contain a name, correspondence address (this can be an email address) and a description of the information you wish to request. When requesting information please:

  1. Be as precise as you can in the description of information you request. If you are unsure about what you are requesting, please contact the Freedom of Information Officers.
  2. Please remember that FOI gives you a general right to recorded information held by or on behalf of the university. It does not oblige us to respond to requests for unrecorded opinions or create new information to fulfil the request.
  3. Check the publication scheme to make sure we haven't already published the information before making your request.
  4. Check whether the university is the right organisation to contact for the information you wish to obtain.

To submit a request for information held by the university please email or send paper mail to:

Freedom of Information Officers
4 West 3.10 University of Bath
Claverton Down

Once a request has been made

We will send you an acknowledgement to confirm that your request has been received and is being dealt with under the Freedom of Information Act. You will receive a response to your request within 20 working day of its receipt, confirming whether we hold the information you have asked for, and either providing the information or stating why the information is being withheld (a 'refusal notice').

Please note that the university may make a charge for the provision of certain types of requested information.

If we are unsure about what information the request is asking for, we will contact you to clarify the meaning of the request.

Copyright restrictions

The Freedom of Information Act does not abrogate any copyright restrictions that may reside in the information supplied to meet legislative obligations.

In most instances you will only be able to use the disclosed information in a limited way according to the 'fair dealing' provisions of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (CDPA), 1988, unless you secure permission from the copyright holder. It is therefore your responsibility to ensure that further use of information supplied via the Act does not breach copyright obligations or any other intellectual property rights.

Internal review requests

If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the response you receive you may ask the university to conduct an internal review. Requests for internal review should be emailed to or addressed to:

Freedom of Information
4 West 3.10 University of Bath

We aim to conduct internal reviews within 20 working days of the receipt.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the internal review you may appeal to the Information Commissioner. You should address any appeals of this kind to:

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Please note: You must exhaust the internal review process before you can appeal to the Information Commissioner.

If you have any queries relating to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 please contact

Environmental Information Regulations 2004

The Regulations give people a right of access to information about the activities of public authorities that relate to or effect the environment, unless there is good reason for them not to have the information. There are some similarities with the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act, but also important differences. Find out more details on the Information Commissioner. Requests to the University of Bath can be made in the same way as for those under the Freedom of Information Act.


If you have any questions, please contact us.

On this page