University of Bath

Guidance and advice on EU Settlement Scheme

Find out how to apply and how the Student Immigration Service can support your EU Settlement Scheme application.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK before the exit date or (if the UK leaves with a deal) the end of the implementation period, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after it leaves the EU. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status.

Settled or pre-settled status

Your eligibility for the EU Settlement Scheme is based on the length of time you have been living in the UK. To obtain settled status you will need to have lived continuously in the UK for five years. If you have less than five years’ continuous residence at the point you apply, you will be eligible for pre-settled status. You can then apply for settled status after you have lived in the UK continuously for five years.

Your rights with settled or pre-settled status

  • with settled status you can spend up to five years of continuous time out of the UK without losing your settled status

  • with pre-settled status can spend up to two years in a row outside the UK without losing your pre-settled status, but this time will not count towards the five years continuous residence if you later want to apply for settled status

  • with settled or pre-settled status you will have the same access as you currently do to healthcare, pensions and other benefits in the UK

  • with settled or pre-settled status you will be able to travel to and from the UK using a valid passport or (at least until 31 December 2025) a valid national identity card

  • if the UK leaves with a deal, close family members living overseas will still be able to join you here after the end of the implementation period, where the relationship existed on or before 31 December 2020 and continues to exist when the person wishes to come to the UK. Future children are also protected

Applying for the Settlement Scheme

When to apply

The EU Settlement Scheme opened on 30 March 2019, and you have until 30 June 2021 to apply, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

You and your family members are not be required to apply immediately, although you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.

How to apply

The Settlement Scheme is delivered through a streamlined, digital application process. Applications are made online, with documents (where required) and proof of ID provided by post, in person, or via an online app (please note the app does not currently work with Apple devices).

The Government has released full guidance and comprehensive step-by-step information on how to apply, including where to source your nearest location offering ID document scanning and how to get Assisted Digital support if required.

Applications are free of charge.

Required documents

You will need to have the following documents:

  • current passport
  • proof of continuous residence

Proving your continuous residence

The application form will ask for a National Insurance Number and complete an automated check to determine whether you are eligible for settled or pre-settled status.

If you do not have a National Insurance Number, or the automated check does not determine that you are eligible, there are other documents that you can use to demonstrate your continuous residency in the UK.

Documents can be photocopies or scans and don't need to be originals. The evidence does not need to cover your entire residence in the UK - just enough to show whether you qualify for settled or pre-settled status. Documents that only contain a single date will count as evidence for one month. Documents can be used to cover a longer period if they have a start and end date covering a period longer than a month.

Evidence that covers a longer period of time:

  • a valid permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain document
  • annual bank statements
  • P60
  • council tax bill
  • degree certificate or yearly transcript
  • student status letter
  • rental agreement and evidence of payment

Evidence that covers a shorter period of time:

  • utility bill
  • monthly bank statements
  • payslips
  • letter from your GP

Appointments with the Student Immigration Service

The Student Immigration Service is available to support you to submit your application under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Before your appointment

You need to prepare any documents you need for the application.

We would also recommend that you attend a drop-in session to discuss your application and have any documents checked before we see you in an appointment.

You do not need to fill in the EU Settlement Scheme application form before your appointment - we will do this with you during the appointment. You also do not need to bring an Android device with you or download the app as we have a dedicated tablet that we will use during the appointment.

Please note, no personal data is stored on the University owned tablet that we use to submit the application.

How to book your appointment

Appointments are available in a confidential setting, on campus daily, and in the Virgil Building on Mondays and Fridays from 14 October 2019.

You can book an appointment by going to the Student Services Centre at the 4 West Roper Student Services Centre, or by calling +44 (0)1225 383838.

Please note, no immigration advice will be given over the phone.

After your appointment

After you have submitted your EU Settlement Scheme application, you should receive a decision within one to four calendar days. Your application may take longer if your case is more complicated.

If your application is successful, a letter will be emailed to you from the Home Office confirming your settled or pre-settled status. You cannot use this letter to prove your status. The letter will contain a link to an online service that you can use to view and prove your status.