Skip to main content
University of Bath

How to apply for a Student visa

Find out about the documents you need before applying for a Student visa, and which application process to use.

Before you apply

Student visas are open to students who have been offered an unconditional place to study in the UK, and have met the other eligibility requirements.

Before applying, you must make sure that you have all the required documents, enough money in your account to pay the fees, and understand your responsibilities while studying here on your full time or part-time Student visa.

Required documents

  • Your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) number
  • Financial evidence (You will need to provide financial evidence if you are applying overseas, or you are applying in the UK and have had a UK visa for less than 12 months)
  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate (if applicable)
  • Passport (current and previous)
  • Application form
  • Original certificates (as listed on your CAS)
  • Proof of English language ability (if applicable - this will be stated on your CAS if it is required)
  • Letter of Expected Successful Completion (if necessary)
  • If you are under the age of 18 at the point of applying, you will need to provide the consent of your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) to travel to the UK with your application

If any documents are not in English, you will also need to provide a translation (see below).

You should also read the Home Office's student route guidance.

Additional documents needed for UK application

Proof of expected successful course completion for taught postgraduate students

If you are a current student on a visa studying for a taught postgraduate course, the Student Immigration Service can provide you with an official letter confirming the expected successful completion of your course to allow you to apply for a doctoral programme, even if you have not yet graduated or been awarded your degree.

Contact the Student Immigration Service if you need a letter of expected successful course completion and you have:

  • finished the taught element of your postgraduate course at Bath
  • received your results for the taught element of your postgraduate course at Bath

Additional documents needed for overseas application

If you have any questions, you can speak with one of our Student Immigration Advisers by emailing


If any of your original documents are not in English, you must send them with a fully certified translation by a professional translator. The translation must include:

  • confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • the translator/translation company’s contact details
  • the date of the translation
  • an original signature and full name of the translator (or an authorised official of the translation company)
  • the credentials/qualifications of the translator (if you are applying in the UK).

We recommend that you make sure that these translations state your translator's credentials and qualifications, even if you are applying from overseas. This is because you may need to apply in the UK at a later date.

Your application will be refused if you are unable to provide them to the Home Office when you are asked.

Applying in the UK

We strongly advise that you use our Student Visa Extension Service when applying to extend your visa. This service is there to support you to complete the online application, make sure you submit the right documents, and minimise the risk of your application being refused.

Applications in the UK usually take eight weeks when using the standard service. Please be aware that it may take longer than this and the University has no control over when your application will be decided. You should book and attend an appointment at a UKVI Service Point as soon as possible after submitting your visa application online to avoid delays.

If you apply using the Super Priority Service, you should get a decision on your application the same day. It then takes up to two weeks to receive your new visa. Please be aware that at peak times, appointment availability may be limited.

We do not recommend booking any travel until you have your new BRP. If you travel outside the Common Travel Area before your visa application has been decided, your application will automatically be withdrawn.

Applying overseas

You will need to apply directly online through the UK Immigration & Visa website.

Biometric Residence Permits

If you are a non-EEA national who seeks permission (from overseas) to enter the UK for more than six months, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regulations state that you must apply for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) as part of your visa application.

If you apply from overseas and your visa application is successful, you will be issued with a short validity ‘travel’ vignette (a sticker) for your passport, which will allow you to travel to the UK.

You will receive a notification letter telling you to collect your student visa, called a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), within ten days of arrival in the UK. You will be asked to collect it from the University of Bath or your designated Post Office branch, depending on the collection point you selected when making your visa application.

We strongly recommend that you select the University of Bath as your chosen collection point. When making your visa application, you will need to enter our Alternative Collection Location (ACL) code, which will be provided on your CAS.


You will need to pay the visa application fee and may also have to pay the immigration health surcharge.

You need enough money to pay for your course for one academic year. The amount you need to pay will be on your CAS.

You’ll need to show you have enough money to support yourself - unless you meet one of the following requirements:

  • you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months on the date of your application
  • you are applying as a student union sabbatical officer

Please note that the annual health surcharge is currently £470 per year.

Application type Fee
Student visa (applying or extending in your country) £348
Student visa (applying or extending in the UK) £494.20

UKVI visa interviews

After you have submitted your visa application, UKVI may invite you to a ‘credibility interview’ conducted in English, so they can confirm that you are a genuine student and that you meet English language requirements. Some of the information will be used to make a decision on your visa application.

Interviews last approximately ten minutes and are usually conducted with video conferencing, although they may take place in person or on the phone. You may need to travel to another city to attend your interview.

Your visa may be refused if you fail to attend or change your appointment time repeatedly.

Preparing for your interview

We advise you to:

  • be honest if you have ever broken the law
  • request a copy of your interview transcript for your records
  • let the interviewer know if you cannot hear them clearly because of technical issues

If your visa application is refused

If your visa is refused you must email for further advice.

Typical reasons for refusal are:

  • your bank documents do not clearly show there is enough money in your bank account every day, for a 28-day period
  • your financial documents do not meet Home Office requirements
  • you have not provided original qualifications or certificates listed on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • your documents are not in English
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test has not been approved by the Home Office