Skip to main content
University of Bath


Here are the different types of leave available to you as a member of staff.

Annual Leave

You are entitled to annual leave as detailed in your contract of employment.

Full details of annual leave scheme, entitlements and how to book annual leave

Compassionate leave

At the discretion of the line manager, up to five days paid leave, including attendance at the funeral, may be granted to a member of staff who has suffered the death of an immediate family member. This will be pro-rated for staff working part time. If additional time beyond this is needed to travel to the funeral, staff should apply for annual leave through their line manager.


Full details of the maternity policy and what you need to do when you are pregnant


Full details of the paternity and how to apply for leave

Parental leave

Full details of the parental leave scheme, and how to apply for leave

Dependant care leave

There is a statutory provision for staff to take a reasonable amount of unpaid time off work to deal with an emergency involving their dependants, and to make any necessary longer-term arrangements. The length of time will vary according to the circumstances but in most cases, as a guideline, one or two days should be sufficient.

A dependant is defined as the husband, wife, child, or parent of the member of staff. It also includes someone who lives in the same household, for example, a partner or an elderly relative or anyone who depends on a member of staff for arrangements for the provision of care or assistance.

Staff can take unpaid time off under the following circumstances:

  • if a dependant falls ill or has been injured or assaulted;

  • when a dependant is having a baby;

  • to support a dependant who has a disability;

  • to make longer term care arrangements for a dependent who is ill or injured;

  • to deal with the death of a dependant;

  • to deal with an unexpected disruption or breakdown in care arrangements, such as a child minder or nurse failing to turn up;

  • to deal with an unexpected incident involving their child during school hours, for example, if the child has been injured, suspended or involved in a fight.

Staff must notify their line manager as soon as possible of the reason for the absence, and how long it is expected to last. In many instances it may be possible to obviate the need to take unpaid leave by re-arranging working hours or using flexi-time, where appropriate..

Sabbatical leave

Sabbatical leave is a period of release from normal academic duties in order to pursue research, for teaching development, knowledge transfer or other activities of benefit to the University. Academic staff (lecturers, senior lecturers, readers, professors) on a permanent academic contract can apply for sabbatical leave. Entitlement to sabbatical leave is not automatic but based on the merits of a proposal and the strategic needs of the Department.

Full details of the sabbatical leave scheme and how to apply

Career breaks

We are committed to allowing staff to request an unpaid extended period away from employment to meet their personal needs e.g. taking care of dependants, undertaking long term full-time study of relevance to your job, to travel. The scheme applies to all staff employed an open-ended contract who have a minimum of five years continuous service with the University at the point of application. The granting of a career break is subject to the agreement of the Head of Department and the relevant line manager and after consultation with Human Resources.

Full details of the career break scheme and how to apply

Trade union duties

Reasonable time off with pay during working hours will be granted to staff undertaking trade union duties or for approved training in line with the University’s Trade Union Recognition & Facilities Agreement

Jury service/trial witness

The University will normally grant leave for staff who are called to attend court for either jury service or as a witness during a trial.

Staff should keep their line manager regularly informed about how long they are likely to be away from work. If the jury service lasts for less than half a day staff must return to work for the remainder of the day, wherever practicable. The line manager must inform the Payroll Manager by e-mail of the jury service dates of their staff.

Staff will be paid an advance by the University during jury service and as a trial witness but should still complete the form provided by the court entitling them to claim for loss of earnings, together with travel and subsistence as appropriate. The completed form should then be passed to the Court. When this is paid by the court staff will receive a receipt (Certificate of Loss of Earnings or Benefit) from the Court showing the amount of payments received under the various headings. This should be forwarded to Payroll who will deduct the benefits received from the court accordingly. These provisions do not apply to staff appearing as an expert witness on a paid basis.

Time off in lieu (TOIL)

This is leave which is taken in compensation for additional hours worked at the specific request of the line manager. This would normally be in relation to a specific activity or piece of work. Ideally this should be taken within one month of being accrued. It should not be confused with accrued hours built up through flexi-time.

Civic & public duties

All staff are allowed up to a maximum of ten working days paid leave, pro-rated for part time staff, subject to the exigencies of the service, in any twelve month period, to undertake public duties as one of the following: a magistrate/justice of the peace (14 working days paid leave)

  • a local councillor;

  • a school governor;

  • a member of any statutory tribunal (e.g. an employment tribunal);

  • a member of the managing or governing body of an education establishment;

  • a member of a school council;

  • a member of the General Teaching Councils for England and Wales;

  • a member of the Environment Agency;

  • a member of the prison independent monitoring boards;

  • a member of a Water Customer Consultation Panel;

  • or public duties of a similar nature.

Further government guidance is available

Contact Human Resources to discuss any public duties which are not listed above but which may be considered to be comparable.

Non-regular forces

Staff who are volunteer members of Non-Regular Forces (e.g Territorial Army) who attend summer camp will normally be granted ten working days paid leave per year in addition to their normal annual leave entitlement. Territorial Army members have special employment protection if called up.

Staff should advise their line manager and Human Resources before first entering into such commitments and discuss the extent of the commitment and the implications for their work. Evidence of membership will need to be provided. Paid leave of absence should be approved and recorded in the usual way.

Adoption/Surrogacy Leave

Full details of the adoption/surrogacy policy and what you need to do when you wish to adopt a child

IVF Treatment

Details of your entitlement to time off to undertake IVF treatment