The University of Bath Childcare Services was established in 1977 to provide day care facilities for children of students, staff and local community if spaces permit. Westwood Nursery is a 48 place nursery which caters for children aged between 6 months and school age.
The Childcare Services is registered and inspected regularly by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) and has a status of "Outstanding Provision". The registration certificate is displayed on the Parents Notice Board in the Reception area. It is a requirement for all Early Years providers to deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). The Childcare Services receives support and guidance from The Early Years Team, Bath and North East Somerset (BANES).
We employ a highly professionally qualified and experienced staff team. Access to a comprehensive University Staff Development Programme provides opportunities to continually update and enhance knowledge. BANES provide regular training courses/conferences for practitioners. Monthly staff meetings are held to enable whole team discussions and therefore ensure continued development and improvement throughout the service.
Staff undergo all necessary clearances from the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB).
- to welcome everyone to Westwood Nursery as an individual supporting all needs, abilities and interests.
- to provide accessible high quality childcare and education for children of students, staff and the local community.
- to provide opportunities for children, parents and staff to take part in a process of life long learning.
- to provide a safe, caring and stimulating environment where children learn and develop to their full potential.
- to work within a policy of parents as partners.
- to enhance the attractiveness of the University of Bath as a place to study particularly for people with young dependent children.
- to recruit high calibre staff and ensure progressive training and development.
- to encourage involvement within the local community.
Expectations of parents/guardians
- parents receive Terms and Conditions which relate to the contract between Westwood Nursery and the parent/guardian.
- parents are required to adhere to their contractual agreement with the service.
- a Parents Information File containing Policies and Procedures and the Ofsted Inspection Report is available for parents to access at all times.
- parents are made aware of the procedure for contacting Ofsted.
- regular opportunities and methods of feedback are encouraged.
Parents as partners
- recognition of the vital role played by the child’s primary carers.
- parents and guardians are encouraged wherever possible to voice opinions, make suggestions and be involved in discussions regarding any aspect of childcare provision using a variety of mechanisms to achieve this.
- parents/guardians are required to provide information regarding their child including emergency contact numbers, health information, special educational needs information and relevant home background details being of the upmost importance.
- involvement on a day to day basis through regular direct contact with members of staff and the Childcare Services Manager. These discussions are particularly valuable and parents should take every opportunity to pass on and acquire information.
Supporting On-Campus Childcare Group
The group meets three times annually to discuss the Nursery and Childcare Services. Any parent can raise an item for discussion by approaching the Childcare Services Manager or representatives.
- Chris Young: Head of Health, Safety and Environment (Chair)
- Pauline Young: Childcare Services Manager
- Vacancy: Staff Parent Representative