Dr Judith Brown Safety Coordinator
Working in the Faculty of Science, Judith is responsible for supporting the Departments of Biology, Biochemistry and Chemistry on health and safety issues.
Judith is responsible for the provision of health and safety support within the Departments of Biology, Biochemistry and Chemistry. This includes:
- providing safety inductions to new members of staff and students
- providing advice on health and safety issues
- carrying out risk assessments, or assisting staff in writing their own risk assessment
- investigate any accidents or incidents that occur
- conducting regular safety inspections
- coordinating the departmental fire wardens and first aiders
- contributing to departmental safety committees
- Ionic Self-assembly
- Colloidal Chemistry
- Dye & Pigment Chemistry
- Liquid Crystals
Judith commenced her first scientific role at Coates Electrographics, later renamed Sunjet. She started in the role of inkjet Technician and worked her way up to Ink Development Technologist. Whilst working at Sunjet she completed her bachelor’s degree by day release. After completing her degree she commenced PhD research in the field of ionic self-assembly. She then started a postdoctoral position in the dental hospital investigating osseointegration of titanium implants, and other postdoctoral position investigating dental biofilms and ultrasonic descalers.
Before starting at the university as a teaching and research technician in 2018, she was working as a Senior Science Technician at a Secondary School. She has been in her current role of Safety Coordinator since January 2019.
- NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- ILM Level 5 Award in Management
- PhD Anisotropic Dichroic Particles and Mesogenic Stabilisers
- BSc (Hons) Applied Chemical Sciences
- Postgraduate Certificate in Science Communication
- Currently studying for NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety