We are a statutory body representing the interests of the University's internal and external constituencies.
We represent the interests of the internal and external constituencies at the University. We provide a forum where members of Court can raise any matters concerning the University. We don't take part in the day-to-day oversight of affairs or the decision-taking process. We are required to meet at least once a year.
The membership of Court is set out in Section 13 of the Statues.
You can find information about the responsibilities of the committee in the terms of reference.
- (i) The Chancellor
- (ii) The Pro-Chancellors
- (iii) The President and Vice-Chancellor
- (iv) The Treasurer
- (v) The Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellors
- (vi) The Chair of Academic Assembly
- (viii) The holders of such offices in the University not exceeding five in all as may from time to time be prescribed by the Ordinances
- (ix) The President of the Students’ Union and such other officers of the Students’ Union as may from time to time be prescribed in the Ordinances
- (x) Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of and in the County of Somerset or its successor body
- (xi) The members of the Commons House of Parliament for such constituencies in the vicinity of the University as may from time to time be prescribed in the Ordinances
- (xii) The Mayor of Bath
- (xiii) Such officers of local government authorities in the vicinity of the University as may from time to time be prescribed in the Ordinances
- (xiv) Those members of the Council who are not members of the Court by virtue of the foregoing provisions
We include the following people:
- (i) Benefactors of the University that Council may might appoint
- (ii) Members of the Council retiring after service of ten years or more on the Council
- (iii) People who might be elected by the Council in recognition of outstanding services to the University
- (iv) Emeritus Professors
- (i) Six representatives appointed by the Senate from among its members
- (ii) Three representatives appointed by the Convocation from among its members
- (iii) Up to 40 representatives from industrial bodies, research institutes, professional societies, learned bodies, commercial bodies, health authorities, government bodies, trades union organisations or media organisations appointed in such manner as may from time to time be prescribed by the Ordinances
- (iv) Up to 12 Head Teachers from Schools appointed in such manner as may from time to time be prescribed by the Ordinances
- (v) Up to five of representatives of religious denominations appointed in such manner as may from time to time be prescribed by the Ordinances
- (i) Three persons elected by the Staff other than Academic Staff of the University in accordance with the Ordinances
- (ii) Three persons elected by the Academic Assembly in accordance with the Ordinances
- (i) Such other persons not exceeding twenty-four in all as may be co-opted by the Court
- (ii) Such other persons not exceeding twenty-four in all as may be appointed by the Council