Tel:+44 (0) 1225 383961
Research degree queries
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 385574
- Stem cell research
- Drug delivery
- Hydrogen production
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Membrane separation processes
- Water treatment.
We carry out research that finds solutions to real-world problems.
Read more about our research impact »
We have strong connections with industry, working with companies including:
We carry out internationally-recognised research aiming to address the challenges of today’s chemical, materials, pharmaceutical, biochemical, biomedical, water and waste treatment industries, in four key global challenge areas:
- food, health and wellbeing
- sustainable processes.
Our research covers the whole spectrum of project types - from fundamental and blue skies research and innovation through to industrial scale development and implementation – providing flexibility, breadth and depth to our research training, collaboration and consultancy for all of our stakeholders: from students and academics to industry and governmental agencies.
The key difference and advantage of our research expertise and offerings compared to our competitors is that we have a key underpinning strength in Sustainable Chemical Engineering and Processes (supported by the Centre of Sustainable Chemical Technologies) which runs through all of our research.
We have state-of-the-art facilities housed in a purpose-built building. Our funding comes from industry, the EU, charities, UK research councils and the government.
Our main research activities are grouped into two centres and two units in the Department:
- Bioprocessing research unit (BRU)
- Centre for Advanced Separations Engineering (CASE)
- Reaction and Catalytic Engineering research unit (RACE)
- Water Innovation and Research Centre: WIRC @ Bath
Our staff are also involved in several multidisciplinary Research Centres and clusters:
- Centre for Sustainable Chemical Technologies
- Centre for Regenerative Medicine
- Centre for Extremophile Research
- The hydrogen and fuel cell research hub (H2FCSUPERGEN)
- Institute for Sustainable Energy and the Environment
We also conduct research projects, train research students and support three EPSRC funded Centre’s of Doctoral Training (CDTs):
- EPSRC Centre of Doctoral Training in Sustainable Chemical Technologies
- EPSRC Centre of Doctoral Training in Catalysis (with the Universities of Cardiff and Bristol)
- EPSRC Centre of Doctoral Training in Water Informatics (WISE CDT, with the Universities of Exeter, Cardiff and Bristol).
Our Department is friendly and close-knit, and research groups work together to exchange ideas and implement innovation and development across the whole spectrum of Chemical Engineering.
We also work closely with other departments at the University of Bath (such as the CDTs above) providing a rich, multidisciplinary collaborative environment for our researchers and students. Much of our research occurs at the interface of engineering and the physical sciences, including: Chemistry – Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry – Chemical Engineering, Medical Sciences - Chemical Engineering.
We use research to enhance our undergraduate programmes. All third-year MEng students undertake a three-month, full-time individual research project, often in collaboration with industry.
REF 2014 success
Our Department's research has been ranked top ten in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), with 89% of the research submitted to the Aeronautical, Mechanical, Chemical and Manufacturing Engineering unit of assessment deemed world leading or internationally excellent.