Tel:+44 (0) 1225 386088
Postgraduate research study queries
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 386961
- Stem cell research
- Drug delivery
- Hydrogen production
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Membrane separation processes
- Water treatment.
“My research is concerned with finding solutions to pollution and being at Bath has helped me look at the subject in new ways. The research culture in the department is excellent - there is lots of discussion and people are very open-minded.”
— May Ling Yeo,
We carry out internationally important research that focuses on sustainability and green chemistry.
We have a broad range of expertise. Our staff tackle complex problems relating to:
- Sustainable development
- Clean technologies
- Developments in health and medicine.
We have state-of-the-art facilities housed in a purpose-built building, which opened in 2002. Our funding comes from industry, the EU, charities, UK research councils and the government.
Our research activities are grouped into three areas:
- Advanced Materials and Porous Solids
- Biochemical and Biomedical Engineering
- Catalysis and Reaction Engineering.
Our staff are involved in several multidisciplinary Research Centres:
- Centre for Extremophile Research
- Centre for Regenerative Medicine
- Centre for Sustainable Chemical Technologies
- UK Sustainable Hydrogen Energy Consortium
- BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials
- Institute for Sustainable Energy and the Environment.
We have also established the Doctoral Training Centre in Sustainable Chemical Technologies, an innovative four-year doctoral programme.
Our department is friendly and close-knit, and research groups often work together to exchange ideas. We also work closely with other departments at Bath and scientists, businesses and educational establishments across the world.
We use research to enhance our undergraduate programmes. All third-year MEng students undertake a three-month, full-time individual research project, often in collaboration with industry.