Throughout your course, you'll apply your knowledge from lectures and lab sessions to solve complex engineering problems. You'll learn how to gather and analyse data to develop industrial strategies using pilot scale versions of the equipment you will one day work with in industry.
Our design project gives you to opportunity to create a product or chemical process. Working individually and in teams, you will explore the financial, technical, environmental and social considerations of your project and communicate these to a non-expert audience.
You could design:
- an anaerobic digestion plant
- a water treatment facility for a refugee camp
- a biofuel production plant
- a food production plant
If you study our MEng courses you'll undertake a research project in your final year. You will be able to specialise in a topic that particularly interests you and work alongside experts in water resource, energy, or industrial biotechnology. You could carry out your investigation as a member of one of our research centres and use specialist equipment.
You could be:
- exploiting nanotechnology to create artificial leaves for solar fuels
- developing a new reactor to deliver safe drinking water in rural Africa
- designing processes for the continuous production of cellulose microbeads to replace plastic microbeads in cosmetics and personal care
- studying biodegradable medical stents for cancer
- developing cost-effective and non-invasive healthcare monitoring systems
- converting coffee waste into fuel
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions from wastewater treatment plants
- synthesising new materials for hydrogen storage