Would you like the opportunity to make an important contribution to the University’s research culture? Do you have an interest in supporting and helping to shape the opportunities for Research Staff?
Julie Barnett, Associate ProVC (Research)
“Research staff development is a key part of our University’s Research Culture Strategy and this role is vital to realise our vision for research staff”.
The Research Staff Working Group represents research staff at Bath and seeks to improve the working environment and career management of researchers. It is made up of postdoctoral research associates that represent different faculties across the university and is chaired by a senior member of academic staff who has an interest in supporting the professional and career development of researchers.
Reporting to the University Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee, the RSWG is a vital part of how we engage with this group of researchers; it provides a forum through which the University can consult research staff on matters affecting them and an opportunity for research staff to work on projects that can have a direct impact on their working environment at Bath.
We are looking to recruit an academic staff member (senior lecturer or above) from any Faculty/School to Chair this Group. The purpose of having a senior staff member as the Chair is to provide leadership and guidance to the RSWG, and some long-term, strategic oversight. This is the only role in the working group that is taken by a permanent academic staff member. It is also supported by a Co-Chair who is a member of research staff.
Staff members who are interested in becoming Chair of the RSWG should send a brief (<200 words) explanation of why they would like the role, their interest in supporting research staff and what makes them the best person to chair this working group. Applications should be sent to the RSWG Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org, by 17:00 on 15th December 2023.
We value, promote and celebrate inclusion, and truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds will lead to a better environment for our whole community.
- promoting implementation of the Code of Practice for the Employment of Research Staff and the Concordat to Support the Career Development of Research Staff
- providing a forum in which issues raised by Research Staff can be discussed
- providing a forum through which the University can consult research staff on matters affecting them
- identifying issues arising from the Culture, Employment and Development in Academic Research Survey (CEDARS) and other consultations
- reporting on its activities to the University Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee (URKEC)
- Member of academic staff (senior lecturer or above) who has an interest in supporting the professional and career development of researchers
- Responsible for leading the RSWG on projects and activities as they arise (from requests from RSWG members or the UKREC) or as part of the group’s response to CEDARS
- Term of the chair is 3 years
- Estimated time: 30 hours a year
What does this entail
- Chairing RSWG meetings (4 times per year)
- Assigning actions and monitoring progress on projects
- Liaising with RSWG Administrator to set meeting dates and the Secretary to set the agendas
- Writing Annual Report to URKEC with RSWG Secretary and Co-Chair