|Owning Department/School:||Foreign Languages Centre|
|Level:||Intermediate (FHEQ level 5)|
|Assessment:||CW 40%, EX 60%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||FL20297 Re-assessment Work (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||Before taking this unit you must take FL20262 and take FL20263 or equivalent.|
The course aims to consolidate and further develop vocabulary and accuracy in all skill areas whilst developing autonomous language use and extending students' cultural knowledge and awareness.
On completion of the course the students will be able to:
* Give clear, systematically developed descriptions and presentations on topics of general, personal or cultural interest;
* Contribute to varied work and general discussions;
* Understand the gist and some detail of recorded or broadcast audio material on topics of personal and general interest;
* Understand texts with Hiragana, Katakana and common Kanji on familiar topics of general and cultural interest without dependence on a dictionary;
* Write short essays using Hiragana, Katakana and common Kanji on topics of personal and general interest;
* Write essays of 500 letters on topics of general and cultural interest including opinions and reasons in a coherent text using approx 250 Kanji.
Speaking, reading, listening and writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
The course consolidates previously acquired language structures and skills and further develops four core competences of listening, speaking, reading and writing. It encourages spontaneous language use. Reading and listening materials on new topic areas will help students extend their passive and active vocabulary. Topics of general interest and cultural relevance will be discussed, helping students to express opinions.
FL20297 is Optional on the following programmes:Foreign Languages Centre