This course is run in cooperation with Siemens Industry software.
Our training course introduces you to the theory of fluid power system modelling and simulation. You'll learn about hydraulic system modelling, using an industry-leading tool.
Your learning experience will include:
- theory sessions about hydraulic system components
- workshop sessions to investigate the modelling of hydraulic systems
- laboratory sessions to cover real-life performance of hydraulic components
During the course, you'll learn how to draw circuit diagrams, and design simple circuits for linear actuators and hydrostatic transmissions using Simcenter Amesim. We'll introduce you to the characteristics of hydraulic fluids, the need for contamination control and the functions of auxiliary devices such as accumulators and coolers. Tutorials and laboratory work strengthen your understanding of how to apply your theoretical knowledge in practice.
Who should apply
Our course is for professional engineers, graduates, technicians, managers and supervisory staff, particularly those new to the field of hydraulic fluid power systems wanting to understand how to create and validate numerical models of hydraulic systems. Having basic mathematical knowledge is helpful.
Prices and dates
All our course prices and dates are listed on our Centre for Power Transmission & control cpd courses for industry page.
When you complete the course, you should:
- understand the operation of a wide range of hydraulic components and circuits, and be aware of the underlying principles
- analyse hydraulic circuits from schematic drawings and draw diagrams using standard ISO notation
- create and analyse numerical simulations of hydraulic systems
- design and analyse simple linear actuator and hydrostatic transmission circuits
- select hydraulic fluids based on their classifications and properties
- have knowledge of the construction, operation principles, and uses of auxiliary equipment, such as filters, oil coolers, and accumulators
Please be aware that this content is under review as part of our continuous improvement process and likely to change.
- hydraulic actuators
- hydraulic valves
- hydraulic fluids
- pumps and motors
- valve dynamics
- actuator dynamics
- pipes and hoses
- pump and motor characteristics
- introduction to Amesim
- simulation of a wave energy converter in Amesim
- simulation of a real hydraulic system in Amesim
- building custom component models in Amesim
- frequency domain analysis in Amesim
- model simplification in Amesim
- control System stability
- proportional valves
- pump characteristics
- hydrostatic transmission
The University of Bath is regulated by The Office for Students (OfS). We continually improve our course by integrating feedback from academic staff and students.
Learning, assessment and final award
Our teaching is carried out by people experienced in the field, mostly academic staff and PhD candidates as well as select guest speakers. There is no formal assessment and to successfully complete the course and receive the certificate of competence, you must attend the course in whole and participate in the exercises.
Continue your professional development with us
Find out more about what other CPD courses we offer.