Pave the way for a career as a professional economist or for doctoral study, with a thorough grounding in all the core areas of economics.
Our MSc Economics is a taught master’s degree that offers rigorous training in the main strands of economics:
The course gives you the broad knowledge needed to work as a professional economist or undertake doctoral study.
Alongside the core topics, you will have the chance to delve into areas like financial economics, growth theory and environmental economics.
Developing practical skills to take with you into your career is a fundamental aspect of the course. We will enhance your research abilities throughout the course; particularly during the dissertation you work on over the summer under the supervision of one of our experienced lecturers.
You can choose to conduct your dissertation on an economic area that interests you most, or that is most useful in your career. It’s a chance to apply your newly acquired knowledge to a specific problem or debate.
Our students have previously explored topics as wide-ranging as the effectiveness of tax credit policies to how financial transaction taxes can be used to regulate financial markets.
We also offer a dedicated unit in research methods, which will allow you to practice using specialist software packages to analyse data, including EViews, Stata and Matlab.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- analyse economic and financial data and critically evaluate existing research
- understand the key issues surrounding major economic debates and contribute to these
- apply economic concepts to specific economic and social policy questions
- formulate an original research question and write at an academic level
We limit student numbers on this course to ensure a collegiate atmosphere and a high degree of interaction between students and lecturers.
This course is designed to give you the knowledge and level of skills required to secure work as a professional economist in government, research units or commercial enterprises. It is also suited to if you're wishing to undertake doctoral study.
Recent graduates have progressed to jobs around the world, including:
- Economic Advisor, Department for Education (UK)
- Chief Analyst, Enterprise Lithuania
- Principal Case Officer,Competition and Markets Authority (UK)
- Senior Tax Consultant, KPMG (Kazakhstan)
- Investment Manager, private equity company (Czech Republic)
- Director, Regional Sector Research, Emirates NBD Global Markets and Treasury Department (United Arab Emirates)
Others have chosen to stay in academia.
We recently hosted a webinar on our postgraduate Economics courses, covering course content and structure, graduate prospects and admissions information. A recording of this webinar can be accessed here.