Delve in depth into the fast-evolving world of English language education. Gain fresh perspectives for teaching it in different countries across the globe.
The MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is a specialist master's course suitable for anyone working - or aspiring to work - in the field of teaching English as an international language.
You will gain exposure to the latest developments in TESOL research, policy and practice, and work with expert tutors who have taught English around the world and are research active.
Throughout the course, we will challenge your thinking and assumptions about how English is used, taught and learnt worldwide. You will analyse its role as the world’s major international language and explore current issues and debates.
Gain key skills
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- develop appropriate teaching methods and materials to enhance how English is taught in your own country
- use the latest research to reflect on, and inform, your daily practice and decision-making
- enhance your employability in a range of fields, including English language teaching, bilingual education, language teacher education, intercultural communication and business communication
- build an international profile and contribute academically and professionally to this rapidly evolving field
We place particular emphasis on helping you to apply the latest thinking about English language teaching to different social and cultural contexts, including your own.
In addition to core units, you will have the opportunity to:
- attend specialised teacher training workshops to gain expertise in relevant classroom procedures
- complete an academic writing and study skills course
- take part in timetabled debates with staff and other students that focus on current key topics and issues in education
- gain advice from MA TESOL graduates and current PhD students about dissertation and research topics at our regular MA Inspiration Symposium events
- share experiences with language educators from a range of backgrounds and build your international network of professional contacts.
This course is suitable for those with academic and professional backgrounds in, or those who want to develop expertise in, English language education, English language teacher education, applied linguistics, linguistics, international education or cultural studies. It is relevant if you're already working in the field, or aspiring to do so.