Acquire the skills to become a professional interpreter and translator between Chinese (Mandarin) and English on this practical and respected master’s course.
Our MA in Interpreting and Translating course will equip you with a joint qualification in both disciplines. This will prepare you to work as a conference interpreter and professional translator.
You’ll learn from highly experienced tutors who work or have previously worked as professional translators and interpreters. Some have interpreted for heads of state and government ministers, and most work for international organisations alongside teaching. You'll benefit from their wealth of experience and contemporary knowledge.
This course is also available in a European languages pathway.
A course designed for linguists
Bath has offered this master’s for more than 50 years and has built longstanding links with international organisations like the United Nations and European Union. We make use of these links to keep our course up to date with the professional world and to set up external training opportunities where possible.
You will have access to our professional-grade interpreting labs. These are equipped with interpreter consoles and microphones, interpreter booths, and online conference facilities. Access to these labs is exclusive to students studying interpreting courses.
As well as the labs, you may also use the on-campus TV studio for some units and tasks.
What you’ll learn
You’ll develop key skills in professional translation and different types of interpreting, including simultaneous, consecutive, and liaison interpreting.
To help you achieve these skills, you will:
- have access to our professional-grade interpreting labs for classwork and independent study. This is exclusive to students studying interpreting courses with us
- participate in ‘mini conferences’ to put your skills into practice. You’ll take part in debates about political and societal topics, acting as both delegate and interpreter
- choose from a host of optional and extra-curricular units to adapt your studies around your own strengths or to explore new areas of study
You may also wish to explore our MA Translation with Business Interpreting if you want to specialize in translation and liaison interpreting in the context of business.
Watch our webinar about this course
Gain important career skills and experience
Upon completion of this course, you will have acquired:
- the written and verbal skills to work with varied and challenging texts and speeches to a professional standard
- experience of working to deadlines and using style guides
- contacts with potential employers and colleagues from your external training
- access to our close-knit alumni network of linguists who work in international organisations, private bodies and independent agencies
- practical translation skills, which you’ll demonstrate during the dissertation/project you complete at the end of the taught part of the course
- a greater level of intercultural awareness, which is important for working in an international role
You’ll also have the opportunity to study a number of extracurricular units to enhance your core learning. These will cover a range of topics, including law, economics, and globalisation.
In addition to this, we regularly invite speakers and trainers from the course’s professional network to deliver career-focused talks and additional training sessions.
Where possible, we use our extensive network of contacts to organise external training opportunities. These are often with the language services of international organisations, government departments or translation companies.
These opportunities can provide you with invaluable insights into the work of professional linguists and are highly valued by employers. However, they are not compulsory or guaranteed. Your language combination and your progress on the course will be considered, along with any other relevant information, when matching you with potential training opportunities.
If you do undertake additional training, you will be able to hone your skills as a linguist by carrying out authentic tasks and receiving direct feedback from experts in the field.
Our students have previously undertaken training with many organisations, including:
- the United Nations
- institutions of the European Union
- the Council of Europe
The MA Interpreting and Translating is a vocational course with an excellent international reputation. Many of our graduates have gone on to work in a range of interpreting and translating roles, while others have used the transferable skills gained to pursue further study or careers in teaching, publishing, and design.
Recent graduates have gone on to roles such as:
- Interpreter and Translator, Universal Studios Beijing Theme Park and Resort
- Freelance/In-House Conference Interpreter, United Nations
- Relationship Manager, Citi Bank
- Simultaneous Interpreter, Ping An Insurance
- Chinese Linguist, Morningside
Associations and resources
By studying this course, you will be able to access a number of tools and online resources to support your learning. These include: