Prepare for a career in the fast-evolving world of English language teaching. You’ll gain fresh perspectives on English language education across the globe.
Our MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) course is a specialist master's suitable for anyone working - or aspiring to work - in the field of teaching English as an international language.
Throughout the course, you’ll be challenged to think differently about how English is used, taught and learnt worldwide. You’ll analyse its role as the world’s major international language, challenge the assumptions many have about its use, and explore current issues and debates.
Gain up-to-date knowledge
Working with expert tutors who have taught English around the world, you’ll explore professional practice, research and theory, to enhance your knowledge of the latest developments in TESOL. All of the teaching staff you’ll work with are active researchers, so the knowledge you’ll gain will be relevant and contemporary.
As well as this, you’ll develop advanced academic and communication skills, to give you a solid foundation for future careers and doctoral study.
We place particular emphasis on helping you to apply the latest thinking about English language teaching to different social and cultural contexts, including your own. In addition to core units, you will have the opportunity to:
- attend specialised teacher training workshops to gain expertise in relevant classroom procedures
- develop your academic writing, communication and study skills
- take part in discussions that focus on current key topics and issues in TESOL
- gain advice from MA TESOL graduates and current PhD students about dissertation and research topics
- share experiences with language educators from a range of backgrounds and build your international network of professional contacts
Watch our webinar about this course
Learn from experts in the field
You’ll learn from experts in English language teaching, as well as staff in the wider Department of Education. Their passion, knowledge and research shape their teaching to enhance your learning experience.
Enhance your career skills
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- develop appropriate teaching methods and materials to enhance how English is taught in your own country, and other countries around the world
- use the latest research to reflect on, and inform, your daily practice and decision-making
- build an international profile and contribute academically and professionally to this rapidly evolving field
You’ll also enhance your employability in a range of fields, including English language teaching, bilingual education, language teacher education, intercultural communication and business communication.
Many of our graduates have gone on to work in a range of English language educator roles within schools, colleges and universities; or as academic language tutors, teacher trainers, or educational leaders. Lots of these roles are based in different countries across the world.
Recent graduates have gone on to education roles within organisations such as:
- Beijing Normal University
- British Council
- New Oriental Education & Technology Group
- University of International Business and Economics, Beijing (UIBE)
- Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
Others have chosen to progress to doctoral study.