Careers beyond academia is a six session structured programme designed to increase your confidence in moving into roles beyond academia. The programme aims to raise your awareness of career options outside of academia and how your skills are relevant. The programme also aims to build a community of research staff and doctoral students who will support each other and share experiences.
Course Director: Dr Anne Cameron, Researcher Career Development Adviser
- Session one: Reflecting on where you are now - Tuesday 31 January 1pm -2.15pm
- Session two: Exploring Options beyond academia - Wednesday 22 February 1pm-2.15pm
- Session three: Focussing on options for you - Tuesday 14 March 1pm-2.15pm
- Session four: networking and job-hunting - Tuesday 18 April 1pm-2.15pm
- Session five: marketing your research skills beyond academia - Tuesday 9 May – 1pm-2.15pm
- Session six: interviews - Friday 26 May 1pm-2.15pm
The course is open to doctoral students in their third or fourth year of registration (full-time students) or their fifth or sixth year of registration (part-time students) and all postdoctoral research staff. Research staff will need to have a contract until end May 2023 to apply. Attendance at all the sessions is mandatory but if there is one session you know in advance you are unable to attend, please inform Anne Cameron before applying.
You will need to seek permission to attend from your line manager or doctoral supervisor before applying.
What does the course involve?
- A focus on discussion-based learning rather than formal presentations
- Light-touch preparation – mainly through accessing short video material - in between the sessions to enable you to engage with career development in a manageable way alongside your research commitments
- The opportunity to meet and engage with researchers from different disciplines
- Buddy groups which will meet in the sessions but also offer informal support throughout the programme. Buddy groups will be allocated before the course begins according to research area and career stage.
- 1:1 appointments with professional careers advisers
- A Teams space for sharing of resources in between sessions