The Proposal to Award Management (PAM) system is used to cost up grant applications, submit these costs for internal approval, and set up the costs for new awards. Externally-funded research proposals must be approved through PAM, before they are submitted to the funder.
The most commonly used funder schemes are in the system. However, if your funder or scheme does not appear in the list when you are setting up your project contact Pre-Award. Allow 24 hours’ notice if you require a new scheme to be set up.
Log onto PAM (system is within Agresso Web). You will need to be on campus, or using VPN, to access PAM.
If you cannot see 'PAM' in the menu or an Administrator requires access, request access to PAM using the TopDesk form.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- setting up an application costing
- editing and submitting an application costing
- approving an award costing
You can also see our guide to 'Research proposal development and submission'.
Research sustainability - viability calculation
Our research proposal submission process has been reviewed with a change to the PAM system taking effect from 8 February. This is to ensure the long-term sustainability of our research, improving the financial recovery and viability of our research portfolio.
- more on our research sustainability and recovery review
- see our explanation of the viability calculation and FAQs
- see the University's announcement on this system change
The University launched a new Research Ethics Governance and Digital System on 3 April 2023 and, in the first phase, will be open to all staff and doctoral students. No new EIRA1 forms should be raised by staff or doctoral students from this date onwards.
- complete an online ethics form
- see the Ethics@Bath homepage
- more on carrying out ethically responsible research
PAM system: what it does and how it helps you
- it creates a unique PAM ID reference number for each costing created
- you can generate costing reports (including a ‘Je-S’ report) to easily extract the details, to populate your funding application form
- your submitted applications and your approved awards feed into your PURE record
- application and award costs all in one place: funder costs, DA staff costs, DI staff costs, students costs, equipment costs, facilities costs, non-staff costs, FEC costs and price breakdown
- summary of project information that includes; project titles, PI/coIs, departments, funders, external partners and individual costings
- automated application and award costing approval workflows – submitting an application for internal approval, and approving your award costing
- PI email notifications when costing approved by your Head of Department
- access to the online ethics form (EIRA 1)
- automated ethics form approval workflow
- professional service notifications for HR and Data Storage
- internal RIS notifications to the Pre-Award and Post Award teams
- additional tabs for information related to; University review, contracts, mandatory fields and award management
- online approval forms for studentships (LURS) and equipment contributions (EQR1) link to PAM
PAM problems and support
The Pre-Award team in RIS is here to support researchers with research funding applications and awards, and all training on how to use PAM.
All issues, whether user or technical, should be reported to Pre-Award who will assess the issue and, if necessary, will follow up with the DDAT Help Desk.