Academic Career Academy
An intensive and practical programme to help research staff to explore both the big picture and the detail of academic jobs.
Aimed at Research Staff planning an academic career, this is an intensive and practical programme to help you to explore both the big picture and the detail of academic jobs. We will focus on what you want from your first lectureship, and what you can do to go about getting it.
The programme requires a substantial time commitment from you, however, in return you will gain personalised feedback, a strengthened CV and offering and a detailed action plan.
The programme is an opportunity for you to:
- reflect on what you want from an academic career
- understand and explain what you offer a potential academic employer, and understand and address what is missing
- prepare to market yourself effectively in terms of the three aspects of academic roles: research, teaching and administration
- gain practical tips and experience to effectively plan and refine your applications
- become more focused on and prepared for the recruitment process
- gain valuable insights and personal feedback on how you present yourself and your work to potential employers.
To gain the maximum benefit from the programme, you will be required to commit to attend all workshops, as well as undertake some preparation and homework between sessions. We will also expect you to carry out some activities (of your choice) within the timeframe of the programme that will strengthen your academic CV.
The programme will be run by an external trainer and professional services staff with opportunities to meet junior and senior academic staff who will share their experiences with you.
Academic Career Academy 2020-21
- The programme will run from May to July 2021. Some of these sessions will be online, but we hope to run some in-person. There will be up to 6 days of organised events (one day every 2 weeks), plus participants will be expected to undertake some preparatory work and homework between sessions. Dates will be released in February 2021.
- This programme is for staff interested in pursuing an academic career and who are planning to apply for their first lectureship position within the next 2 years.
- Awardees are expected to participate fully and demonstrate regular progress to remain on the programme
- Staff need to have a contract till at least August 2021 to take part.
- The programme will open for applications on 1st March 2021 and close on 31st March 2021.
- Your PI/line manager is required to authorise your application
- The outcome will be announced to applicants by 9th April 2021.
|Thursday 13 May 2021||9:30 to 13:00||Your strategy: where do you want to be, and where are you now?|
|Wednesday 26 May 2021||13:00 to 16:00||What is your niche?|
|Wednesday 16 June 2021||9:30 to 13:00||Teaching|
|Wednesday 30 June 2021||9:30 to 13:00||Proposals|
|Friday 16 July 2021||09:30 to 12:30||Personal and professional impact|
|Wednesday 28 July 2021||09:30 to 16:00||Mock interviews|
Feedback from participants
'Attending the Academic Career Academy gave me a lot of insight into what an early career researcher needs and how to be competitive. It did not stop at telling me what to do, they showed me how to do it. A lot that money can never buy, thank you very much.'
'Participating in the Academic Career Academy was highly rewarding in teaching me to become proactive in seeking out opportunities to succeed as an independent academic. I would recommend this programme to researchers on the verge of applying for permanent posts looking for guidance in the application process, as well as to postdocs interested in making the most of their time in order to boost their career prospects.'
'The ACA has probably been the single biggest beneficial experience of this academic year for me. It has supported me being objective when evaluating myself, my skillset and my prospects, developing a balanced view of my career, and gaining more confidence in my capacity to affect change in order to progress.'