University of Bath

Brexit information for EU, EEA or Swiss citizens who want to work at Bath

Information on the UK’s exit from the EU and how it might affect you.

The UK's exit from the EU and your immigration status

In the event of a ‘no deal’, EU/EEA or Swiss citizens who arrive after exit date, currently 31 October 2019, will still be able to apply for positions at the University and will not be required to obtain a visa to enter the UK. EU/EEA and Swiss citizens will be able to enter the UK as they do now, using their passport or national identity card.

There will be no restrictions on your ability to live or work in the UK and you will be able to take up employment in the UK as soon as you enter.

In the event of a ‘no deal’, the Government will introduce the European Temporary Leave to Remain (Euro TLR) Scheme which is a temporary, non-extendable immigration status. If you intend to stay in the UK for longer than three months you must apply to the Scheme.

EU nationals who are granted Euro TLR will be able to stay in the UK for 36 months from the date of their application. After 36 months, EU/EEA or Swiss citizens will be required to apply for an immigration status under the new immigration system, which will come into effect from 1 January 2021.

We will update this page as soon as further details are available on the application process for Euro TLR is made available.

Irish nationals will have no restrictions on their stay and will not be required to apply for temporary status.

If you have been offered a job here and have any concerns or wish to discuss any detail, please contact us at