Got an idea for an interdisciplinary activity?
The Doctoral College Activities Fund supports the development of initiatives that bring doctoral students together across disciplines and/or across institutions. As well as delivering the activity itself, planning and running activities provides you with a great opportunity to develop transferable skills as part of your professional development.
The Doctoral College Activities Fund is used to support short term projects. Awards of up to £500 can be applied for. Please see the table below for details about the funding rounds in 2018-19. Please make sure you think about which round is more suited to your application.
|Funding deadline||Funding released||Activity must be completed by|
|26 October 2018||5 November 2018||1 March 2019|
|8 February 2019||18 February 2019||1 July 2019|
|31 May 2019||10 June 2019||1 October 2019|
What are we looking for?
- The proposed activity must bring together students from a number of different disciplines and build community across departments or institutions
- The proposed activity must fill a gap in existing provision
We would be particularly interested in activities that:
- promote the University’s commitment to equality, diversity and inclusivity
- propose creative use of the Level 5 Graduate Commons area
- facilitate the engagement of students not based on the University campus- building on the University’s International Agenda.
Please note that this fund should not be used to facilitate any researcher development activities as you can apply for the Doctoral College Training Fund.
Example activity ideas
To give you some ideas about possible activities, the list below includes some specific examples which have been previously funded and some more generic ideas:
- film night for doctoral students
- series of guest speaker talks
- developing an app that connects students
- start-up groups
- innovative events
- organised trips
How to apply
The Doctoral College Activities Fund is now open for applications.
Before completing the application form please read the associated Terms and Conditions If you have any queries, please contact the Doctoral Engagement Team.