The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council’s Impact Acceleration Account (EPSRC IAA) funding at Bath helps to speed up the contribution that research makes towards innovation across industry, business, charities and the public sector.
Since the inception of the award in 2012, the ESPRC has awarded the University of Bath over £6 million and leveraged funds of more than £10 million, to support knowledge exchange and impact activities across our institution.
EPSRC IAA Open Call
Funding up to £25k and £50k (out of £100k available in total) are now available to support activities that maximise the potential for the University’s Engineering and Physical Science Research to make a positive impact on society, the economy and people’s lives.
- Download the application pack
- Sign up to attend one of the drop-in sessions on Monday 8 January 2024, 10:30-12:00, or Thursday 25 January 2024, 13:30-15:00. Otherwise contact the ESRC IAA team to discuss your idea if you can’t make those times: email@example.com
- Submit your application by the deadline of 4pm on Tuesday 20 February 2024 to the IAA mailbox: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please get in touch with Alice Hovanessian if you have any questions or require the materials in a different format: email@example.com / 01225 384583.
Postdoctoral Impact Award Open Call
Postdoctoral Impact Awards (up to £20k) are available to postdocs as well as PhD students at the University who have submitted their PhDs. The award aims to provide opportunities for career and personal development through knowledge exchange and impact related activities within the Engineering and Physical Sciences remit. Funds can be used to build on collaborative activities already underway, explore new opportunities, or build knowledge and skills to support future collaborations that have a high probability of knowledge exchange and ‘impact’ – a beneficial change to society or the economy. Applications from under-represented groups, including female researchers, are particularly welcome as are interdisciplinary projects (at least 50% in the EPSRC remit).
Stage 1 Proposals are due by 4pm on 12 September 2023. If shortlisted, applicants will be invited to submit Stage 2 detailed applications by 4pm on 7 November, for final decision.
- the proposed activities must have a high probability of generating impact
- the project can involve working with collaborators and external organisations, but should not be a partner-led project such as ‘contract research’ (Note that, if your application is successful, a Collaboration Agreement will be required with each collaborating organisation.)
- the proposed activities must be deliverable on time and within budget (any amount up to £20k/project). Projects must be completed and funds fully spent by 31 December 2024 at the latest
- the Principal Investigator (PI) should be a Postdoctoral Researcher or a Doctoral Student at the end of their studies (must be awarded their PhD by the proposed start date of the project)
- at least one Co-Investigator (Co-I) must be a member of academic staff
Applicants are invited to get in touch to submit your expressions of interest and to request an application pack. You will be invited to meet members of the IAA Team, for support with your proposal. Successful candidates will be offered mentoring support as part of the scheme. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
EPSRC IAA Placements and Fellowships Fund
Funding up to £20k is now available for research staff and postdocs interested in taking part in external placements and fellowships which will support new routes to knowledge exchange and impact, particularly through policy placement opportunities such as those offered by with the Royal Society and UK Parliament, for example the Royal Society Pairing Scheme.
This is a responsive award, with applications assessed in the order in which they are received, while funds last. These are open to staff and Postdocs who may be looking to develop new skills and contacts. Eligible costs include salary contributions and travel.
Seed Corn Award
A small amount if Seed Corn funding is available for to accelerate the potential for commercial impact from research. Please contact the Technology Transfer Team in the first instance, to discuss your idea: email@example.com
See our latest EPSRC IAA Open Call projects at the University, which have been funded to develop impact from research in the EPSRC remit.
See the latest case studies from some of our EPSRC IAA-funded projects.